Gmail (Google Mail) has become a favorite webmail platform for both personal and business use. This is owing to its numerous features including huge free storage space, security, labels and filters, instant messaging and video conferencing among others. If you are using Chrome browser, you can add the Gmail button to the browser for easy access. This guide will take you through the process of adding the Gmail button to Chrome, as well as creating a shortcut on your desktop or the taskbar.
Add Gmail to Google Chrome
You can install one of the following extensions to add the Gmail button in Chrome.
1. Send from Gmail (by Google)
- Open Google Chrome and click on the customization menu icon (the three vertical dots) at the right-most edge of the Chrome address bar.
- Move your mouse over “More tools” to expand the menu and select “Extensions” from the options.
- Click on the “Extensions” settings menu on the upper-right corner, then at the bottom of the menu options, click “Open Chrome Web Store”.
- This will open a new tab and load the Chrome Web Store page. Check the “Extensions” category to search.
- Type “Send from Gmail” and select the Send from Gmail (by Google) extension from the result.
- Click the “Add to Chrome” button and the “Add extension” on the prompt pop-up.
- This will add a Gmail button in the Chrome toolbar.
- This button allows you to share the link of your current web page. To do so, open your preferred site then click the Gmail button on the toolbar.
- It will open the Gmail compose window, add the recipient and edit the subject and the email body. Then click the “Send” button.
2. Notifier for Gmail
- Another valuable Gmail extension is “Notifier for Gmail”. Search for the extension from Chrome Web store and click the “Add to Chrome” link.
- This will add a Gmail button next to the Chrome address bar, which shows notifications for newly received emails.
- To compose a new mail, right-click the button and select “Compose an Email”.
- It opens the “Compose Mail” page in a new tab which, allows you to add the recipients’ address, subject and email content and then click “Send” to send an email.
Add Gmail Shortcut from Chrome
You can also add a Gmail shortcut on your desktop or taskbar from your Chrome browser. To do so;
- Open Google Chrome and sign in to your Gmail account. If you are already signed in, go to the Gmail home page.
- Go to the Chrome control menu by clicking the three dots on the left of the address bar.
- Float the mouse above the “More tools” option, then click on “Create shortcut…”.
- Click on the “Create” button when prompted. This will automatically create a Gmail shortcut on your desktop. You may right-click the shortcut and pin it to the taskbar or to the Windows Start Menu.
Note that create shortcut option will be available only in Chrome Windows and Chrome on MacBook will not have this option.
Adding a Gmail button to your browser offers quick access to your Google mail account from where you can view your inbox and compose new emails to your contacts. Additionally, Chrome allows you to create a desktop shortcut for Gmail to further enhance your performance. Also you can access Gmail link directly from the Google search page.