WordPress iOS app is open source project offered by Automattic as a common app for both WordPress.com and WordPress.org users. It allows webmasters to post content and manage comments on the go along with many other features. The iOS app can be installed on both iPhone as well as iPad. Once you have downloaded and installed the app, you can either login with WordPress.com credentials or add self hosted WordPress.org site.
Creating a Post or Page
The iOS app offers basic features to create a post or page. You can do the followings with this app:
- Create a new post / page or modify an existing post / page.
- Do basic formatting like adding link, block quote, bold and underline.
- Add categories and tags to post.
- Choose post formats and set visibility.
- Preview or view your site with built-in browser.
The major disadvantage of the app is the non-availability of complete visual editor with plugins installed on a site. This limits the content posting ability to mere text and images.
One of the major uses of this app is managing comments on the go. You can view all comments posted on your site and reply to the users right from your mobile. Comments can also be approved, rejected, deleted and marked for spam.
In order to manage comments using this app you should use theme’s native commenting system or Jetpack comments. You can’t view or approve comments in case if you use commenting plugins (like Disqus) on your site.
Click on the “Today” menu sown in right upper corner when viewing site stats to set the notifications for that site. Once enabled you can view the number visitors and page views from the notification center without opening the app.
If you are a WordPress.com user you can straight away view your site stats from the app once logged in. If you have a self-hosted site then you should have installed Jetpack plugin and activated site stats settings in your site. You need to connect the app to your WordPress.com account to view site statistics.
Good thing is the app is getting updated frequently with new features. At this moment below are the additional features available on the app:
- Manage media files
- Manage Menus
- Configure Jetpack Sharing
- Configure WordPress.com Users and followers
- Change basic site’s settings like tagline, title, default category, default post format, etc.
- Change discussion settings to configure comment processing
This is an easy to app with limited features can be commonly used by WordPress.com and WordPress. org users. Definitely it needs lot of improvements like editing as in the desktop visual editor bringing the admin dashboard view in the mobile.
- On the mobile editing options.
- Respond to comments and view traffic.
- Needs XML-PRC to be enabled on the site which is popular for hacking.
- Jetpack plugin and account required.