Website building is still one of the least area where usage of mobile devices are very limited due to non-availability of quality apps. Even if there is an app it will only have roughly 25% of the desktop site’s features. Considering this fact Weebly iPad app is a wonderful attempt to come out of conservative mobile approach by bringing the entire site builder to iPad. This made the site building possible using iPad without the need of desktop.
Weebly have an additional mobile app named “Weebly Classic” for iPhone users without drag & drop site builder.
Weebly currently offers a single app for iPhone and iPad, you can read the review of Weebly iOS app here.
Overall most of the needed features are available to build a content site similar to desktop version. You can start building a site by dragging and dropping elements in to the content area. Each element can be edited, copied or deleted by touching on it.
The app was made to provide similar user experience to both desktop and iPad users. It has very simple design with easy to use navigation providing elegant user experience.
- Design features like font change and theme change
- Creating a site with drag and drop site builder
- Upload images and videos from iPad’s photo library
- Any updates done without internet connection will also be stored and captured on live site once iPad is connected to internet.
- Continuity across device with picking up from the point where you left on desktop
- Dashboard to check site statistics
Since this is an initial version hope Weebly will add all features from desktop site to iPad app. Below are some of the features missing compared to desktop version:
- Some of the elements are missing in site builder. For example, we can’t see “Embed Code” element which is one of the most used elements in Weebly.
- Similarly there is no option to edit source CSS / HTML in iPad.
- Other service like domain purchase or email service are not available.
- iPad app can be used to create only content site. Blog and online store can’t be created with iPad app.
- Two apps – Weebly for iPad and Weebly Classic are confusing and difficult to understand the available features.
- Retrieving site is very slow for a larger sites and fails most of the time.
Weebly iPad app opens a gateway to all other competitors to bring their solutions to mobile and tablet world. Overall this is an excellent app for the initial version and hope Weebly will add much more improvements and keep the app with up to date features.
- Create site on the go.
- Monitor stats, form submission and store orders from mobile.
- You will not get the full experience of desktop editor.