What is Wi-Fi Assist and How to Turn it Off?
You can connect your iPhone to internet through Wi-Fi or using cellular data. Generally people use Wi-Fi in home or office networks and use mobile data when traveling or moving on. You can enable both Wi-Fi and cellular data connection to keep you online. However, in most occasions your iPhone will get disconnected from internet when you are away from the Wi-Fi network signal. It will take certain time for your phone to connect back to the 3G/4G connection. In this article we will explore Wi-Fi Assist function in iOS and the advantages and disadvantages.
What is Wi-Fi Assist?
Apple introduced Wi-Fi Assist function in iOS 9. It works smartly to avoid the internet connection drops. When enabled, it automatically connects to cellular data when wireless connection has weak signal. This helps to retain your internet connection without dropping when you are moving away from wireless network area.
Advantages of Wi-Fi Assist
The advantages are clear that it will help to browse the internet without disconnecting.
- You can continue to play music, videos and keep the internet alive when moving from one room to another in your house. Otherwise, you may loose connectivity especially when you have disabled mobile data. You may need to go back to settings and turn on the cellular option to connect to internet again.
- It also helps when leaving the house or office Wi-Fi area to seamlessly connect to cellular data.
- This is useful when you have unlimited cellular data plans.
Disadvantages of Wi-Fi Assist
Below are some of the disadvantages:
- You will not notice the change in network, which can result in high cellular data usage.
- For example, you may be playing a YouTube video on wireless network. Continue to play videos on cellular data will result in hefty charges.
- Most of us use limited cellular data plan. In such case, Wi-Fi Assist will result in high cost.
How to Turn Off Wi-Fi Assist?
The Wi-Fi Assist function is enabled on your iOS devices by default. If you have limited data plan, we highly recommend turning this feature off to save cost.
- Tap on “Settings” app and navigate to “Cellular” or “Mobile Data” option.
- Enable cellular data if you have disabled it.
- Scroll down the page and turn off Wi-Fi Assist button under “Cellular Data” section.