PDF or Portable Document Format is the best option when you want to share documents with others. It not only prevents people from editing your document but also helps to retain the formatting across any device including smartphones. However, Word documents are easy to edit especially for preparing system manuals with screenshots. You can easily use the in-built screenshot function to capture the screen and insert user in your document. If you received PDF document, here are some of the easy ways to convert it into a Word document.
Converting PDF to Word Document
Here are some of the reasons converting PDF to Word will help you:
- You can edit the text content with Word and then convert the Word document back into PDF if required.
- Word is an easy option for formatting and inserting screenshots.
- It is difficult to extract images from PDF files. You can convert to Word and then save the images to your computer.
Whatsoever is the reason, here are the options for you to convert PDF to Word document.
1. Microsoft Word
You might already know it is easy to save as your Word document in PDF format. However, do you know that you can directly open a PDF file using Word app? Simply, right-click on any PDF file and select Microsoft Word option from “Open with” menu. Alternatively, go to “File > Open” menu in Word app and open your PDF file. This works on almost all Word versions like Microsoft 365, Word 2021, Word 2019, Word 2016 and Word 2013.
You will see a pop-up showing the conversion of PDF to Word document.
After that you can get a nice Word document with exactly similar formatting and images from your PDF. Now, save your Word document and start editing its content. If you want to save the images to your computer, right-click and select “Save as Picture…” option.
2. Convert PDF to Word with Adobe Acrobat Online
Many users do not know that Adobe offers official online tool for converting your PDF to Word document. This is completely a free tool with no limitations.
- Simply go to PDF to Word tool page on Adobe’s site and click on “Select a file” button.
- Locate your PDF file and upload.
- The tool will start converting your document.
- Once done, you can preview the convert Word document online.
- Change the file name if required and click on “Download” button to get the .docx file.
You need to create an account for editing the document with online Word editor and getting the download file link for sharing with others. After editing Word document, you can also use the Word to PDF tool from Adobe to generate a PDF file. Adobe also offers an extension for Chrome to use the free tools with Chrome browser.
Convertio is another all in one converter tool which you can use for almost any type of file conversion. For example, you can convert PDF to Word, PowerPoint, eBook or HTML file. The tool allows you to upload PDF file from local computer, Google Drive or Dropbox. The free plan has a restrictions of file size up to 100 MB and you can convert 10 files per day. If you want to have unlimited conversions, then you need to go for premium plan which starts from $9.99 per month.
- Go to Convertio website and click on “Choose Files” button.
- After uploading your PDF file, select “Document > DOCX” format for output.
- Click “Convert” button to start the process.
- After finishing the conversion, click “Download” button to get you Word document.
Your files will be kept on their or 24 hours before being permanently deleted.
Zamar is a professional ad free online service for converting your PDF documents to Word format. You can also convert to BMP, PPT, XLSX or PNG format. However, the free plan restricts the file size to 50 MB and allows only 2 conversions per day. Otherwise, you need to go for $9 premium plan to get 200 MB upload size with 50 conversions per day.
- Go to PDF to Word tool page in Zamar website.
- Click “Choose Files” button and upload PDF file from your computer. Alternatively, click the small arrow on the “Choose Files” button and select other options for file upload. You can upload PDF from any online URL, Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox and Box.
- After uploading your file, click “Convert To” button and select docx format.
- Click “Convert Now” button to start the process. When the conversion is completed, you will see a “Download” button and click on it to get your Word file.
Note: Zamar also offers a desktop app for Windows and Mac which allows 25 free file conversions.
5. Smallpdf Converter
Smallpdf is an online collection of various PDF processing tools including free PDF to Word converter.
- Go to PDF to Word converter page on Smallpdf website.
- Click “Choose Files” button and upload your PDF. It is also possible to upload PDF from Google Drive or Dropbox.
- After uploading the file, select “Convert to Word” option and click “Choose option” button.
- The conversion process will start and you will see a download button to get your Word file once the conversion is completed. You can also download the file to Dropbox to Google Drive if required.
Smallpdf also offers a Chrome extension which you can use for file conversion purposes. However, the free version restricts to single file conversion per day and there are no size limit.
The quality and formatting of converted Word file is good when we tested all the above tools. Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat online are two reliable services to convert your PDF to Word document. However, you need to convert one by one when using these options and there are no bulk conversions available. If you are choosing for other online tools, make sure to consider the following things:
- When you have scanned PDF document, it needs an Optical Character Recognition (OCR) to extract the content and then convert to Word document. Most online tools offer OCR as a separate service, for example, this is a premium service with Smallpdf.
- You have to upload the file to cloud servers and converted files will be stored at least on their server. Therefore, do not upload confidential files related to your organization.
- Most online tools offer limited service in terms of size and number of conversions. If you want to frequently use bulk conversion, then premium option is suitable for your need.