The field of software development has been changing at a rapid pace and it is a difficult task to keep up with all the advancements. Development of an application for use by various platforms – both static and mobile – requires numerous lines of coding and software development tools that assist in assembling, compiling, bug testing, design, analysis and a variety of other aspects. Every software development company does not require every tool. However, it’s useful to know which tools are doing well in the web development ecosystem, particularly if you’re looking for a new cross-platform software development tool.
10 Tools for Software Development
Let’s take a look at the top 10 software development tools.
GitHub is a prime weapon in the arsenal of all software developers. It is a collaboration and code sharing tool which makes it quite simple to manage and track the progress of every developer working on a project. Even. If you have contributed to GithHub coding repository it is an excellent way of showing your work to would-be employers.
- Popular collaboration tool because of the ease of use.
- Allows complete sharing and tracking of work by project members.
- The client can view the progress of a project in real-time.
Powerful code editor is one of the basic needs of any software developer to write the code with ease. Atom is an open-source editor that is a free-to-use clone of Sublime Text. It is extremely user-friendly and can be customized completely because it’s open-source. The clutter-free interface supports editing on Windows, Linux, and macOS.
- Features such as auto-complete allow quick coding without typos.
- The project can be distributed across multiple panes making compare and edit a breeze.
- A file search as well as find and replace features add to its usability.
- Syntax highlighting with different themes in both dark and light colors.
Cloud9 is an Integrated Development Environment or IDE that used to be open source but has since been acquired by Amazon Web Services and made a paid service.
- It is a wonderful tool for collaboration and editing between team members during the development phase.
- Free for those who have subscribed for any other AWS storage product.
- You can get an editor, debugger along with a terminal and run your code in a browser without installing any application.
Linx is an IDE that allows programmers to focus on designing the front-end of an application without the development of the back-end. With dozens of plugins available and heavy usage of drag and drop functionality, it is possible to avoid long hours of coding on mundane tasks.
- Linx allows ease in development of business applications by connecting to SQL databases.
- It can easily access databases and files from one application and convert them to use by another.
- Over 100 plugins are available making it versatile.
Netbeans is an IDE for C++, HTML, Java, and PHP development. It has been written using Java and allows the building of web and mobile applications.
- Auto code completion takes hard work out of coding.
- Bug testing and debugger makes it possible to develop error-free code.
- Simple editing feature makes it reliable.
- Syntax highlighting with templates available to create your program in different languages.
- Cross platform and works on Windows, macOS and Linux.
- Top-notch front end framework with powerful CSS.
- Highly flexible with a grid system that is responsive to the device and recalibrates itself quickly.
- Built-in plugins make coding faster.
- Plenty of free and premium Bootstrap website builder available in the market like Mobirise which makes the website building simple for business owners.
- Used for developing chats, social media, and even online browser-based games.
- Uses V8 engine from Google.
- Inbuilt Node Package Manager makes it possible to browse 250,000 code packages.
- Active HTML/CSS code inspectors.
- Very handy and efficient PHP Debugger.
- Autocomplete of HTML DOM elements and keywords.
9. Zend Studio
Zend Studio is the latest IDE for PHP, which allows quick and impeccable coding. Its main uses are coding and debugging of web and mobile-based apps. It is also a robust tool for testing and analysis of performance.
- It performs up to 3 times faster than other existing PHP IDEs.
- Best in class debugging tools such as Z-Ray integration and Xdebug.
- Remarkably compatible with cloud computing services such as MS Azure and AWS.
Related: How to select best Google Ads agency for your business?
Bitbucket is used for version control and allows for secure collaboration between a team of developers. Like Github it is a code repository and allows easy coding and review.
- It comes with support for pull request and inspection.
- Ease of branch comparison.
- Seamless integration with Jira, Bamboo, and Jenkins.
Software developers have widely varying needs. The biggest and most expensive tool is not always the one that is needed but perhaps a lighter edition from a different publisher. We believe Cloud9 is the most reliable IDE and GitHub is simply something you can’t do without. While reviews and suggestions are valuable they have a limit since they cannot exactly mimic your needs and environment. Compile a list of features you wish and don’t wish and make a deliberate choice that makes you a more productive worker.
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.