The field of software development has been changing at a rapid pace and it is a difficult task to keep up with all the advancements. Development of an application for use by various platforms – both static and mobile – requires numerous lines of coding and software development tools that assist in assembling, compiling, bug testing, design, analysis and a variety of other aspects.
Every software development company does not require every tool. However, it’s useful to know which tools are doing well in the web development ecosystem, particularly if you’re looking for a new cross-platform software development tool.
Let’s take a look at the top 15 software development tools of 2020.
Cloud9 is an Integrated Development Environment or IDE that used to be open source but has since been acquired by Amazon Web Services and made a paid service.
- It is a wonderful tool for collaboration and editing between team members during the development phase
- Free for those who have subscribed for any other AWS storage product
Atom is an open-source editor that is a free-to-use clone of Sublime Text. It is extremely user-friendly and can be customized completely because it’s open-source. The clutter-free interface supports editing on Windows, Linux, and macOS.
- Features such as auto-complete allow quick coding without typos
- The project can be distributed across multiple panes making compare and edit a breeze
- A file search as well as find and replace features add to its usability
Linx is an IDE that allows programmers to focus on designing the front-end of an application without the development of the back-end. With dozens of plugins available and heavy usage of drag and drop functionality, it is possible to avoid long hours of coding on mundane tasks.
- Linx allows ease in development of business applications by connecting to SQL databases
- It can easily access databases and files from one application and convert them to use by another
- Over 100 plugins make it versatile
Github is a prime weapon in the arsenal of all software developers. It is a collaboration and code sharing tool which makes it quite simple to manage and track the progress of every developer working on a project. Even. If you have contributed to Github coding repository it is an excellent way of showing your work to would-be employers.
- Popular collaboration tool because of the ease of use
- Allows complete sharing and tracking of work by project members
- The client can view the progress of a project in real-time
Netbeans is an IDE for C++, HTML, Java, and PHP development. It has been written using Java and allows the building of web and mobile applications.
- Auto code completion takes hard work out of coding
- Bug testing and debugger makes it possible to develop error-free code
- Simple editing feature makes it reliable
- Top-notch front end framework
- Highly flexible with a grid system that is responsive to the device and recalibrates itself quickly
- Built-in plugins make coding faster
- Used for developing chats, social media, and even online browser-based games
- Uses V8 engine from Google
- Inbuilt Node Package Manager makes it possible to browse 250,000 code packages
It is a software development tool that allows cooperation between coders using the cloud. Spiralogics allows the creation of web and mobile applications using drag and drop function.
- Possible to preview changes before publishing the final version
- Cross-platform software development tool for Windows, Linux, and macOS
- Complete personalization of UI possible
- Active HTML/CSS code inspectors
- Very handy and efficient PHP Debugger
- Autocomplete of HTML DOM elements and keywords
10. CodeCharge Studio
CodeCharge Studio is excellent for setting up web supplications that depend heavily on a database using only a vital amount of coding.
- Works across many platforms such as Windows, Linux, and macOS
- Support for every type of SQL databases including MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL
- Easy to avoid coding errors and minimize project development costs using CodeCharge Studio
11. Zend Studio
Zend Studio is the latest IDE for PHP, which allows quick and impeccable coding. Its main uses are coding and debugging of web and mobile-based apps. It is also a robust tool for testing and analysis of performance.
- It performs up to 3 times faster than other existing PHP IDEs
- Best in class debugging tools such as Z-Ray integration and Xdebug
- Remarkably compatible with cloud computing services such as MS Azure and AWS
12. Embarcadero HTML5 Builder
Embarcadero HTML 5 Builder is a versatile application that allows you to create web and mobile apps using HTML, CSS, and PHP. It is a complex tool that allows writing code, editing, drag and drop, and easy insertion of components such as radio buttons.
- Comes with geo-location tools that support the development of mobile apps
- Capacity to organize team conversations and collaboration
- Flexibility in use across various platforms
Bitbucket is used for version control and allows for secure collaboration between a team of developers. Like Github it is a code repository and allows easy coding and review.
- It comes with support for pull request and inspection
- Ease of branch comparison
- Seamless integration with Jira, Bamboo, and Jenkins
Cloudforge is an essential tool for Subversion and Git Hosting. It is available as a SaaS product and can be used for collaborative work through the cloud.
- Secure single cloud platform used for coding and work-sharing
- A flexible tool for simultaneous managing various projects, resources, and processes
- Provides version control hosting and able to provide granular permission for access to team members
Codenvy is a cloud-based environment for developing and testing applications. The main advantage is real-time sharing of projects among developers.
- No need for installation, as it is cloud-based
- Can create a brand new project t or import from Github
- Useful for generating command-line installers that can be deployed on any platform
Software developers have widely varying needs. The biggest and most expensive tool is not always the one that is needed but perhaps a lighter edition from a different publisher. We believe Cloud9 is the most reliable IDE and Github is simply something you can’t do without.
While reviews and suggestions are valuable they have a limit since they cannot exactly mimic your needs and environment. Compile a list of features you wish and don’t wish and make a deliberate choice that makes you a more productive worker.