In our earlier article, we have explained how to manage tabs in Google Chrome browser. Google recently announced they are testing a new feature called Tab Groups in Chrome beta version. Tab Groups help you to arrange tabs in a groups so that you can process them together with single click. At this point, this feature is available in Chrome Canary and beta versions, you have to wait some time before this is released for stable use.
How to Use Tab Groups in Google Chrome?
Launch Chrome Canary or beta version and open few webpages on the tabs. Right click on any of the tab and select “Add Tab to New Group” option.
You will see a new button appears right to the selected tab. Click on the button to see multiple options like below.
Type the name for your tab group and choose the color to visually differentiate from other tabs.
Now, you have created a tab group. You can create multiple tab groups to combine all similar tabs. Let us add some tabs to this group.
Related: Beginners guide to Google Chrome browser.
Adding Tabs to Group
- Open a new tab and right click on it.
- Choose the same “Add Tab to Group” option.
- You will see all tab groups you have created previously in the list along with an option to create new group.
- Choose the previously created tab group to include the selected tab in that group.
You can see Chrome highlights all grouped tabs in the selected color while other ungrouped tabs look normal.
Similarly, you can create multiple tab groups and arrange the tabs for easy access. Below is a demo from Google showing how to create multiple tab groups in Google Chrome.
What Can You Do With Tab Groups?
This will be a useful feature depending upon the number of tabs you work with Chrome.
- You can move the entire tab group to a new browser window.
- Move the group to right or left position.
- Close all tabs in a group with single click.
- Again, ungroup to make all tabs work independently.
Caution in Using
Tab groups work only for that browser session. This means, all groups will get deleted when you close the browser. You have to recreate new groups, if you want to work with groups again.