Though Windows OS is there over four decades, it misses an important tool for cleaning up and optimizing your PC. Microsoft finally realized the need and introduced a packaged application called PC Manager. This app was initially launched for Chinese market and now available for all Windows 10 and 11 users to manage the overall health of their PC. In this article, we will explain how to download PC Manager app and use the app to protect and cleanup your system.
Microsoft PC Manager App
Microsoft PC Manager is an official one-click PC booster and optimizer tool which is currently present in its beta version for the public.
- It is a free tool that provides junk file clean-up, eliminates viruses, optimizes system performance, and boosts the security and privacy of your computer.
- It works similarly to third-party apps like PC optimizer and CCleaner. With the official tool, you need not reply on any premium third-party apps to improve the safety and efficiency of Windows PC.
- PC Manager acts as a hub to access all the system maintenance and management tools in one place.
Downloading and Installing PC Manager
Go to the official Microsoft PC Manager website on your browser. Simply click on ‘Download’ button and get the installation package file on your PC. Double click on the setup file and a dialog box will pop-up like below. Accept the end user agreement and click the ‘Install’ button to proceed further. You may also see a warning for non-Microsoft app and allow the process to continue installing the app.
Installation of PC Manager app will take a little time and you may notice the installation stuck at a specific state for longer time. Wait patiently and click on the ‘Launch Now’ button when the installation is completed. This application is broadly classified into two different categories – Cleanup and Security.
Note: The app will work only on Windows 11 and Windows 10 (build 1809 or later). Otherwise, first update your Windows to the latest version before trying to install the app.
1. Cleanup Features
Click “Cleanup” option from the bottom of the app. This section has all the features that help to improve and boost the performance of your system.
It is a single-click button to enhance the performance of your PC. Click “Boost” and wait for a while. The app will delete all temporary files and release unused memory. You will see the “Performance boosted!” success message along with the size of temporary files deleted.
If you want the app to automatically boost your performance, click on the gear icon and select “Settings” from the menu. This will open app’s settings and enable “Smart boost” option. Smart boost will allow the app to automatically boost when the RAM usage is high and the temporary file size exceeds 1 GB.
1.2. Health Check
As you know, Microsoft also offers a separate Health check app. However, you can use PC Manager app for doing basic checks without navigating from the app. Simply go to “Cleanup” tab and click on “Health Check” which is the first option in the menu. Just click on it and the PC Manager will start looking for the issues such as items to clean up, viruses, potential issues, and startup apps to disable. Once the scanning is completed, the app will show the list of issues found on the screen.
You can select the items and click on “Proceed” button to finish that task. Once all the actions are completed, you will get the message “Health check completed”, click on “Done” to close the section and go to the main screen.
1.3. Storage Manager
This feature helps you to manage the storage space on your computer. You can find offers four main functions as shown below:
- Deep clean up: It scans the entire system for junk files that have taken up much space. Click on “Deep cleanup” option to start the process. After completing the operation, the app will show all the relevant files, select the files you want to remove and click “Proceed”. After a few seconds, you will see the message “Clean up completed” and click on “Done” to move to the next option.
- Manage Large Files: This option will show all the large files, that are located in the C drive making your system slow. Clicking on it will show the options for selecting large files. Let’s say, you want to delete larger files >1 GB in size. Select that option and check all file types. Click on “View in File Explorer” button to view the items in File Explorer. From File Explorer app, you can easily select the unnecessary files and delete them manually.
- Manage Apps: Clicking on “Manage Apps” will take you to the “Apps > Installed apps” section in the Windows Settings app. From there, you can select the unnecessary apps and uninstall them manually.
- Storage Sense: This option will take you to “System > Storage > Storage Sense” in Windows Settings app. From there you can select automatic cleanup of the temporary files and automatic user content cleanup to help your system run smoothly.
1.4. Process Management
Process management is another option available in the cleanup tab shows all currently running apps in the system. You can choose unnecessary apps and click “End” button to close them. This section is similar to Task Manager for finding and closing apps that consume high memory. PC Manager will show the memory consumption of each app below its name making the task easier for you.
1.5. Startup Apps
The startup apps option show you with a list of all the apps that are loaded during the system startup process. You can check the list and disable the items that you do not need to speed up the booting process.
2. Security Features
The “Security” tab of PC Manager app contains all the features that will help to improve the security of your system like scanning, browser protection, etc.
To scan your system for threats, click on the “Security” tab located at the bottom of the main page of PC Manager. Click on “Scan” button to start the scanning process. The app will scan several things including key system locations, startup apps, browser extensions, frequently used apps, background services, hard drives, and other miscellaneous.
The scan will take a few minutes to complete the process. You will see a notification when threats are found, otherwise, you will get “No threat found” message.
2.2. Windows Update
Windows update option will show if there are any updates available for your system. Click on this option to find drivers, security and other available updates. You can select the items from the list and click on “Update” button to get the latest updates without navigating from the app.
2.3. Browser Protection
Browser protection is another option in the Security tab is which allows you to switch your default browser with a single click. Also, the option “Block change by malicious apps” will protect your system from malware that try to change your default browser.
2.4. Pop-up Management
The pop-up management option helps you to block unwanted pop-up windows by simply enabling the pop-up blocker.
Microsoft PC Manager is a power packed all-in one tool you should use instead of going for third-party applications. As you can see, it brings all cleanup, security management and optimization tools under one roof. Since the app is from Microsoft, it also seamlessly integrates with default Windows apps. We strongly recommend you giving PC Manager app to boost your system’s performance to a new level.