iPhone has plenty of hidden setup that may surprise you. One of the neat tricks is to use the back of your iPhone as a button. You can assign actions and trigger them based on tapping the back side. With the home button gone you can even use the back side tap as a home button. Here is how you can do that with your iPhone.
iPhone Accessibility Features
iPhone has lot of settings for customizing the appearance. There are also many useful functions available under “Accessibility” section. However, many users think the accessibility features are for people with inabilities and do not make use of them. Back Tap is one of the accessibility features which you can use to assign an action to double or triple taping on the back your iPhone.
Though the assigned action can be triggered by tapping anywhere on the back side of your phone, you can assume to tap on the Apple logo icon. This makes it easy for you to tap and consider the back side Apple logo as a button.
Assign Actions to iPhone Back Tap
Follow the below instructions:
- Open “Settings” icon and go to your iPhone’s settings page.
- Scroll down a bit and tap on “Accessibility” option.
- The accessibility section contains bunch of features and tap on “Touch” option under “Physical and Motor” section.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and tap on “Back Tap” option.
- You will see two options like below – Double Tap and Triple Tap. By default, these options are disabled by settings them as “None”. However, you can assign different actions for double and triple tap to trigger when tapping the back side of your iPhone.
Anytime later, you can disable the feature by setting Back Tap options to “None” again.
Available Tap Actions
You can find a big list of actions available under double tap and tripe tap. Actions are grouped under different categories like System, Accessibility, Scroll Gestures and Shortcuts. Some popular actions include App Switcher, Home, Lock Screen, Screenshot and Reachability. Select the action to assign for double tap and then for triple tap.
For example, we have assigned Home for double tap and App Switcher for triple tap. It should look like below after you assigned actions for Back Tap option. Now you can simply double tap on the back side of your iPhone to access the home screen. Similarly, triple tap the back side to instantly open App Switcher and view all open apps.
We recommend you to assign actions that actually need to hold multiple stuffs. For example, you have to press and hold up volume button and side power button to take screenshot in the latest iPhone models. Instead of struggling with this, you can enable double or triple back tap and easily take a screenshot.