WeChat is the most popular instant messaging and digital payment platform apps in China. It is not possible to live in China without WeChat app as the Covid-19 health kit status is to be shown from WeChat mini-app. Since, you will not be able to enter into any malls and public venues without showing green code in health kit, you should always have a WeChat app with you in the phone. The problem comes when your WeChat account is banned or blocked and you are not able to use the app or its functions. If you are a foreigner living in China and your WeChat account is banned, then here are the options to unblock your account.
Why WeChat Account Gets Blocked?
There are three different types of problems you may face with WeChat accounts:
- WeChat company blocked your account permanently due to security restrictions.
- Temporarily blocked and show the instructions on screen to unblock.
- You have frozen your own or friend’s account due to security reasons.
Generally, account will not be blocked permanently unless you extremely violate their policies. Here are some common reasons why WeChat account gets blocked:
- You are using virtual phone number like Skype or Google Voice number instead of real number.
- Using unofficial plugins or Android emulators like Andy, Youwave and Bluestack.
- Downloaded unofficial WeChat app from third-party websites instead of from App Store.
- Someone reported your content as spam or violent to WeChat.
If your account is permanently blocked, you may not be able to unblock it though you can withdraw the balance amount. The only option here is to open a new account probably with new phone number and follow the terms to keep your account in good status. If your account is temporarily blocked for security reasons, first check whether you are able to login for submitting requests. If you are not able to login to the app, then you can submit an account unblock/recovery request from your computer.
Note: Though the app name in App Store will show as WeChat, you will find its Chinese name Weixin throughout the app. For example, you will see Weixin Pay and Weixin Security Center in the settings page of the app. Also, there are different versions of Weixin and WeChat apps available for Android users. Do not get confused with these two names as unblocking is the common process in WeChat.
1. Submit Account Unblock Request
You can submit WeChat account unblock request from your computer using the official feedback in WeChat help center English site. There are two steps to fill the details of the form.
Step 1 – Provide Problem Details
- Platform – select your operating system like iOS, Android, Window, Mac or Web.
- Region – select your country. Make sure to select the country corresponding to the registered phone number you are using with WeChat app.
- Select Categories – select “Unable to login” or “Account security” option and then select “Account blocked” option.
- Description – explain your problem in simple and descriptive manner.
- Upload screenshot – click this link and upload your screenshot clearly showing the message you receive while login to the app.
Step 2 – Provide Personal Details for Contact
- WeChat ID (or Linked Mobile Number) – enter the correct phone number with country code. For example, +1 is the country code for US and +86 is for China. If you want to provide the WeChat ID, find it under “Me” section in the app (iOS).
- Email – enter your contact email address.
- Prefer Being Contacted by – select email or WeChat. You will receive the status of your request in this email or your WeChat account. If you are not able to login to WeChat, make sure to select email and provide correct email address.
Finally, submit the request and wait for the response. If there is a minor problem, your account will be unblocked without any issue. In case if the account is permanently blocked due to violations, your unblock request will be rejected.
2. Submit WeChat Account Recovery Request
WeChat allows to submit an account recovery request for foreigners through its support center. Go to official WeChat support page for submitting account recovery request from your computer or from the mobile browser. Select the following details in the form:
- Banned WeChat Account – select your WeChat ID, mobile number, QQ ID or email.
- Send verification code to – select the country from the list and enter your phone number.
- CAPTHCA Characters – type the CAPTCHA code as you see.
Click on the “Send Verification Code” button to get the code in your mobile number. You can use this code to unblock and login to your WeChat account.
3. Unfreeze WeChat Account
You can freeze your own or your friend’s WeChat account when you find any suspicious activities. Since you are doing this on your own, you can unfreeze the account from your app from the phone.
- On iOS app, go to “Me > Settings > Account Security” section and tap on “Weixin Security Center”. For Android, you can find Weixin Security Center under “More Options”.
- Tap on “Unfreeze Account” and follow the onscreen instructions to unfreeze your account.
You can also use the “Help Friend Freeze Account” option to freeze your friend’s account if required.
4. Check Your Passport or ID Details
Did you recently change your passport/ID or update any details in the passport/ID? If yes, then it is mandatory to update the correct details with apps like WeChat and Alipay. WeChat needs your passport and verified phone number linked with your real name for logging in and access the features like Weixin Pay. If you do not update the details, the app will not allow you to login or restrict the use of payment feature.
When this happens, you will find the onscreen instructions to update your passport details. Follow the instructions to scan your passport and submit the request. You will be able to access the app and its features once the correct details are updated. However, you will not receive any confirmation from them on this.