In this digital world, companies release new phone models almost every day. Though iPhones are stable compared to Android versions, Apple also releases new iPhones frequently. You need to migrate all the data from your old iPhone to new phone whenever changing the phone. WhatsApp is one of the popular instant messaging platforms, nowadays every one of us use on our phone. One of the first things you need when changing the phone is to backup and transfer all WhatsApp chat history. In this article, we will explain how to do that with step-by-step instructions.
Backup WhatsApp Chat History in Old iPhone
Unlike WeChat, WhatsApp allows you to regularly backup the chat history. You can setup the automatic schedule and backup the content to the iCloud for free.
- Launch WhatsApp and tap on the “Settings” icon.
- Tap on “Chats” and navigate to “Chat Backup”.
- Tap on “Auto Backup” option and choose the schedule for backing up your content.
- You have predefined schedules for daily, weekly and monthly. Select one of the schedules for having a regular backup.
When restoring the chat history, you can choose the latest backup or tap on “Back Up Now” option to have the live data backup. WhatsApp recommends you disable cellular data for iCloud so that you can avoid backing up with mobile data. However, this depends on the size and schedule of your chat history and media content.
First, we recommend you to backup the data using Wi-Fi connection. Now, you know the size of the backup file. If you have very big backup file, disable the auto backup and do manual backup when you connects the iPhone to Wi-Fi network. We don’t recommend to disable mobile data for iCloud as it will affect other sync activities on your iPhone.
Restoring from Backup in New iPhone
When you are ready with the latest backup follow the below instructions on your new iPhone.
- Ensure you have taken the SIM from old phone and inserted in your new iPhone.
- Download and install WhatsApp from App Store.
- Login to WhatsApp with the same mobile number. Once you login to new phone, WhatsApp will automatically logout you on the old phone.
- Type your profile name and tap on “Done” to proceed further.
- WhatsApp will send you an activation code to verify your login attempt.
- On the next screen, WhatsApp will automatically show you the option to restore the content from your iCloud backup. You can check the date of the backup and size. Tap on “Restore Chat History” to start the process.
- Remember, if you skip the restore at the start you may lose the entire backup when there is an automated backup runs on your new iPhone.
- You can view the restore progress and WhatsApp will download the backup from iCloud.
- After successful completion, you can see the total number of messages restored.
- As the message indicates, WhatsApp will restore the media files separately in the background.
- Now, you can go back to “Chats” section and check all your chat history. You can also view the status of the media restore on the top of chat.