Apple added lot of new features to Notes app with macOS version 14 (Sonoma). Now, you can link other notes and view PDF files with navigations. However, the cool new feature is that you can a share a note from Notes to Pages app and continue your work in Pages. This helps to format the notes you have taken in hurry and create proper document in Pages. Here is how you can share notes from Notes app to Page and edit them in Mac.
Share Note from Notes to Pages
First make sure you have updated the macOS to latest version 14 (Sonoma) or later.
- Press “Fn or Globe + Q” keys to open a quick note. Jot down your content and close the note. Alternatively, open Notes app and create a new note.
- When you are in Notes app right-click on a quick note or normal note item and select “Share Note” option. It will show a pop-up and select “Open in Pages” from the list.
- Alternatively, click on the share icon from top toolbar and select “Open in Pages” option.
- This will open the selected note in Pages app.
Editing Shared Note in Pages App
You can use all the editing features in Pages to format your shared note and add additional content. As you can see in the below screenshot, I have added drop cap, changed font color, font size, quote bubble, 3D chart, etc.
You can simply save the note as a Pages document and share with others with rich content.
Sending Pages Document to Notes Back
It is also possible to bring the edited note from Pages to Notes app back. However, you need to use PDF format to retain all rich content like charts and videos.
- Go to “File” menu in Pages and select “Export To” menu.
- You will see list of options for sharing the document and select “PDF” option.
- On the “Export Your Document” pop-up, select quality and other options under “PDF” tab. After that, click on “Send a Copy” button and select “Notes” app from the list.
- It will open another pop-up where you can enter the name and click “Save” button. By default, it will create a new note with the title you have entered under “Notes” folder in Notes app. However, you can add the PDF to an existing note or create a new note in any existing folder by selecting it from “Choose Note” dropdown.
This will convert the document as PDF and insert it in a new note in Notes app.
View Shared PDF in Notes App
Open Notes app and you will see a new note showing the PDF shared from Pages app. The latest Notes app allows you to view the PDF content inside a note instead of seeing as an attachment. You can also navigate through the different pages of PDF document using the thumbnails.
You can add markups on the PDF and collaborate with others to continue working with the note.
If you are using any third-party app for taking notes in Mac, probably it’s time to consider using the default Notes app. The app already offers lot of useful features to give life to your plain text notes. With the latest feature to share note from Notes app and edit them in Pages, you can create a stunning interactive document from a note and share with others.