Remote desktop connection is a method of making connection between two computers remotely. Windows 10 has an amazing app for remote desktop connection. You can connect your PC and friend’s PC over an Internet connection or on a local network. Some of you may have tried this app but won’t be able to make the connection. This is because it requires some configurations before you actually start using it. Go through this whole guide to learn more about how to setup remote desktop connection in Windows 10 between two PCs.
Using Remote Desktop Connection in Windows 10
You can establish remove desktop connection between PCs using two ways. One way to do this is using normal Windows app. The second way is to use Google Chrome. Let us explain both options one by one.
1. Remote Desktop Connection Using Windows 10 App
While connecting your PC to another PC, the very first thing you need to do is to configure the remote PC. Let us say your PC is A and the other PC is B. So, you have to configure the PC B.
1.1. Configuring Remote Desktop Settings for PC B
- Press the ‘Windows + X’ shortcut keys from the keyboard.
- Click on ‘System’. Then in the ‘Settings’ app, click on the ‘System info’ under ‘Related settings’ on the right-hand side.
- From the left-side menu, click on ‘Remote settings’.
- In the ‘Remote’ tab, make sure the ‘Allow remote connections to the computer’ is ‘ON’ under ‘Remote Desktop’ option.
- Click on ‘Advanced’ button, then make sure the ‘Allow this computer to be controlled remotely’ is also check.
- In last, click ‘OK’ and then ‘OK’ again.
1.2. Configuring Windows Firewall for PC B
In the PC B, you have to make sure the Windows Firewall is not blocking the Windows remote desktop connection app.
- Press ‘Windows’ key from the keyboard to open the ‘Start’ menu.
- Type ‘Control panel’ and hit ‘Enter’ key to open it.
- From the top-right filter, choose the option ‘Large icons’.
- From the bottom, click on ‘Windows Defender Firewall’.
- Click on ‘Allow an app or feature through the Windows firewall’.
- Click on ‘Change Settings’ button.
- Find the ‘Remote Desktop’ app and make sure it is checked for private as well as for the public.
1.3. Set User Account Password
In the end, make sure your user account has a password. If not, then please set a password before you start. If you have a password then skip the step.
- Open the ‘Control Panel’.
- Click on ‘User accounts’, click on ‘Manage another account’.
- Click on the account name and set the password for it through ‘Create a password‘ option.
1.4. Know the IP Address of PC B
- Open ‘Command Prompt’ through the ‘Start’ menu.
- Type ‘ipconfig’ command and hit ‘Enter’ key.
- Check the IPV4 address there, that is the IP of PC B. Note this one.
1.5. Making the Connection Between Two PCs
- In your PC A, go to the ‘Start’ menu, type ‘Remote desktop connection’ and hit the ‘Enter’ key from the keyboard.
- Enter the IP address in the computer field of PC B.
- Click on the ‘Connect’ button.
- Enter your ‘Credentials’ in the next popup. i.e. Username and Password which you have set in the previous step for PC B.
- Click on ‘OK’ button.
- Click on ‘Yes’ button if the remote desktop connection app popup the security certificate error. This means there will be a security certificate error, you need to authenticate it.
- After this, the connection is going to be successfully established and you can be able to use the PC B.
Note: There is an important instruction for this method that is if you are a Windows 10 home user, then you won’t be able to use the remote desktop connection app. This is because this app restricted to a remote assistance feature which does not allow you to control the other PC. This means you can only view the other PC. But, if you use other Windows 10 version like Pro or the enterprise, then you won’t be having any problem.
2. Remote Desktop Connection Using Google Chrome
Chrome is a smart browser and it has many cool extensions. For remote connection too, there is an extension named ‘Chrome remote desktop’. In this method, we will be using this extension to connect with our PC remotely. Here, we are going to access a laptop from Android mobile phone. Follow the below instructions:
- Open the command URL ‘chrome://apps’ in Chrome address bar and go to chrome Web Store.
- Search for the Chrome Remote Desktop extension. Download and install the extension on your browser.
- After installation, click on the extension and it will open up in a popup window.
- Under ‘My Computers’, click on ‘Get started’.
- Click on ‘Enable remote connections’ button. If it asks for installing the ‘Chrome remote desktop host’ then download and install it.
- Create a PIN number to protect the access. Click ‘OK’.
- Note the email you are using with this process from the top-right corner of the popup. Now, you have successfully configured the host site.
- Open ‘Play store’ in your Android phone and search for ‘Chrome Remote Desktop’ app.
- Download and install this app in your phone. Make sure the email ID you are using is same here.
- Enter the PIN number which you have recently created and click on ‘Connect’.
Next, you’ll see the PC and the your Android mobile device has successfully connected.