Proxy is an intermediate server between your device and the internet. Therefore, it helps to bypass the network connection offered through your internet service provider and route through a different channel. There are many reasons to use a proxy server depending upon the situation. In our earlier article, we have explained how to configure proxy through various browsers. However, you can also setup proxy on your device so that all network activities will use proxy instead of default connection.
Why to Use Proxy Server?
Here are some of the situations, using proxy server can help:
- Hide your IP address and browse anonymously similar to VPN service.
- Access blocked websites that are not accessible in your geographical location.
- Access websites from local locations to watch events and activities only available in that location. For example, you can watch a sport event broadcasted only in a particular country.
Whatsoever is the reason, you can easily setup proxy in Windows, Mac, iPhone and Android devices.
Get Reliable Proxy Server Details
Before setting up, you need to find the reliable proxy server’s IP address and port from online. There are premium as well as free services available for this. Make sure to purchase or get reliable server details as the entire network activities from your device will be routed through that server. There are two ways you can connect to a proxy server:
- Automatic Configuration – you need the proxy script URL address normally ends with .pac.
- Manual Configuration – server IP or hostname and port. You may also need a username and password if you want to authenticate and securely access the proxy server.
After setup, check your public IP with IP checker tool and confirm that your device connection works through the proxy server’s IP.
Note: Remember that you need to setup proxy for each network you use on the device.
1. Setup Proxy in Windows 11 PC
Follow the below instruction in Windows 11 to setup proxy.
- Press “Win + I” keys to open Windows Settings app.
- Go to “Network & internet” section and click the “Proxy” option.
- On the next screen, you will see options for configuring automatic and manual proxy settings.
- If you want to use automatic proxy setup, enable “Automatically detect settings” switch and click “Edit” button against “Use setup script” option. On the pop-up, enable “Use setup script” to enter your proxy server URL and click “Save” button to apply the changes.
- If you want to use manual proxy setup, click “Set up” button showing against “Use a proxy server” option. On the pop-up, enable “Use a proxy server” switch to enter IP and port details.
- You can also add exception URLs and exclude intranet URLs for bypassing the proxy setup.
2. Configure Proxy in macOS
Follow the below instructions on Mac.
- Click the Apple logo showing on top left corner of the menu bar and select “System Preferences…” menu.
- Click “Network” option to go to network preferences in Mac.
- First, click on the padlock icon and unlock the screen for editing by providing your admin password.
- After that, select the network correct network from the list and click on “Advanced” button.
- Go to “Proxies” section and select appropriate option from the “Select a protocol to configure” list.
- If you have .pac URL, then select “Automatic Proxy Configuration” and enter the proxy URL in the text box.
- If you have IP address or hostname and port details, then select “Web Proxy (HTTP)” or “Secure Web Proxy (HTTPS)” option and add the details. For connecting with username and password, add your credentials by enabling the checkbox “Proxy server requires password”.
- If you want to exclude any address, enter them in bypass proxy settings box.
- Click “OK” button to finish your setup and test if the internet connection is working through the proxy server.
3. Setup Proxy in iPhone
Follow the below instructions on iPhone to setup proxy for Wi-Fi network.
- Tap on “Settings” app and then go to “WLAN” option.
- You should see the currently connected Wi-Fi network just below the WLAN option. It will show a tick mark before the network name indicating it is the currently connected network and tap on it.
- Scroll down to bottom of the screen and tap “Configure Proxy” option showing under “HTTP Proxy” section. By default, this option is set as “Off”.
- On the next screen, select “Automatic” and enter your proxy URL.
- Alternatively, select “Manual” option and enter the server, port details. If you need to connect through an account, enable “Authentication” switch to enter your username and password for accessing the proxy server.
Apple does not provide an option to configure proxy for cellular data in iPhone. If you are using enterprise account in Apple, you can setup a profile to route the network through proxy. However, this is not possible for personal Apple account holders.
4. Setup Proxy in Android
Unlike iPhone, Android offers options to setup proxy for both Wi-Fi as well as cellular network.
4.1. Setup Proxy for Cellular Data in Android
- Go to “Settings > Network & internet > Internet” section.
- Select the gear icon in front of the cellular data network to open its configuration page.
- Tap on “Access Point Names” to view the list of available networks and select the desired network to edit the access point.
- Enter your Proxy, Port and other details.
- Now, your mobile data network is now configured to use the proxy server.
4.2. Setup Proxy Server for Wi-Fi Network in Android
Follow the below instruction to add proxy server details to your Android’s Wi-Fi network.
- Go to “Settings > Network & internet > Internet” section.
- Tap on the setting button in front of the connected Wi-Fi network.
- On the “Network details” page, select the modify network settings button in the upper right corner and choose “Advanced options” on that page.
- Tap on the “Proxy” option to view three options – None, Manual and Proxy Auto-Config.
- Choose “Manual” option to enter proxy server detail like hostname or IP and port. If you select “Proxy Auto-Config” option, enter the proxy URL.
- The last option is “Bypass proxy for,” where you can enter the list of websites for which you don’t want to use the proxy.