How to Setup Gmail in Windows 10?
Gmail has become one of the most popular mailing platforms among computer users due to obvious reasons. The free e-mail service has a user-friendly interface, strong spam filters and email labels that help you to organize your mailbox. Moreover, with a Gmail account, you can access Google Docs, Calendar and other Google products, as well as login to a host of other Google applications.
Related: How to setup Gmail in macOS?
It also provides live chats and video conferencing, which can be beneficial to individuals and business. Gmail has 1.5 billion users around the world and Windows 10 is the top operating system having 700 millions users. Instead of opening Gmail in browser each time, you may need to set up Gmail in Windows 10 to send and receive messages directly from Windows without opening the Gmail web platform.
How to Setup Gmail in Windows 10?
This article explains the two methods of setting up your Gmail account in your Windows 10 PC.
- Using Gmail with Microsoft Outlook
- Add Gmail in Windows Mail app
Method 1: Using Microsoft Outlook to Setup Gmail in Windows 10
Outlook is the popular email client many of us use for sending professional emails. Gone are the days you only need to use Microsoft account to use Outlook. You can also add Gmail account in Outlook to have uniform user experience.
- First login to your Gmail account from your browser to configure the POP/IMAP settings.
- Click the gear icon on the top-left corner of the Gmail interface and select “Settings”.
- Go to the “POP/IMAP” tab; enable both “POP” download and “IMAP” access and click “Save Changes” at the bottom of the window.
Add Gmail to Outlook
- Search and open “Outlook 2013” on your PC and then click the “File” menu. Under the “Info” section, select “Add Account”
- Select the “Manual setup…” option and click “Next” on the resulting wizard.
- Choose “POP/IMAP” connection and go to the “Next” page.
- Enter your name, Gmail address and server settings in the appropriate text boxes. For the “Logon Information” section, enter your Gmail credentials.
Related: How to setup Gmail in iPhone?
Email Server Configuration
- Go to “More Settings” to configure the server settings. Switch to the “Outgoing Server” tab and check the first two options.
- On the “Advanced” tab, use the default ports for both the outgoing and incoming server. You may also choose the connection encryption for both servers and customize other settings then click “Ok”.
- Click the “Next” button of the setup wizard. MS Outlook will test the connection for both incoming and outgoing server.
- If the connections are working correctly, close the setup wizard. This will load your Gmail messages to Microsoft Outlook from where you can view received messages and send new emails.
Method 2: Setup Gmail with Windows 10 Mail App
Windows 10 has a dedicated Mail app that allows you to have multiple emails accounts in one place. This is similar to the Mail app on macOS and follow the below instructions to add Gmail to your Windows 10 Mail app.
- Type “Mail” in Cortana and select “Mail” from the results, the option with an envelope icon.
- Expand the main menu (three horizontal lines) on the top-left corner of the app and go to “Accounts”.
- On the right-most pane that appears, click “Add Account”.
- Select “Google” on the pop-up wizard.
- Use your Gmail address and password to sign in and click “Next”.
- Gmail will prompt you to allow Windows 10 to access your account. Click the “Allow” button at the bottom of the pop-up.
- When your account is successfully added, click “Done” to complete the setup.
- Windows mail will sync with your Gmail and display the list of your inbox emails. To read an email, click the mail on the middle pane to display the content on the right-hand pane.
- Here you can reply, forward, delete or perform other actions just like from the Gmail web-platform.
- To send a new mail, click the “New Mail” button, compose the mail and send. One of the interesting features of using Windows mails is the user-friendly menu, which allows you to format text, add file attachments, free drawing and other objects to your email.
- For more Windows Mail settings and customization options, click the gear-like icon at the bottom of the left panel to expand the options.
Note: You can set up and manage multiple Gmail accounts in Windows 10 Mail app. Follow the same process to add another Gmail account.
Gmail users have access to a host of email features and Google products such as huge free storage and Google Apps. This makes it one of the best email platforms that not only allows users to send email texts but also support live-chat and video calls. If you use your Gmail more frequently, you can configure your account with Windows 10 either through the Mail app or with MS Outlook. This way, you can receive and send emails from your account without logging in through a web platform. Additionally, you can set up multiple Gmail accounts in Windows, making it easy to manage all your emails on a single page.