People play games, read news and have hundreds of contacts on their smartphone. But most of them forget to do one simple thing – setting up an emergency contact. This is very important so that anyone can call the emergency contact when you are in need. If you wonder what an emergency contact is and how to setup one in Android device, here is how you can do that. It is also possible to manage all your health related information in Android phone using Google Fit.
Use of Emergency Contact in Smartphone
Suppose you are in an emergency, and your friend wants to inform your family about the situation. However, your friend cannot call your family or friends since your phone is locked. Android will not allow you to access the contacts from the lock screen and here is how the emergency contact can come for your rescue. Once you add emergency contacts to your Android device, people can view and call these contacts without unlocking your device That is why setting up emergency contacts on your Android phone is vital as it can even save your life.
Enable Access to Emergency Info in Android
You can setup one or multiple numbers from your contacts list as your emergency contacts. The first step to set up the emergency contacts is to enable access to emergency info. Otherwise, your emergency contact information will not show up without unlocking the phone.
- Open the native Android Contacts app.
- You can see two tabs on the main page, “Contacts” and “Fix & manage” at the bottom.
- Tap on “Fix & manage” to view its settings page, which contains various tools.
- Find the “Emergency contacts” at the bottom of the page under the “Other tools” category.
- Opening “Emergency contacts” will prompt you to sign into the personal safety app. Hit “OK” to see the main emergency contacts page.
- Tap on the “Change settings” link and go to the access page of emergency info.
- Enable the access to emergency info by sliding the button if it is not already enabled.
Once access to emergency info is enabled, your emergency contacts and medical information can be viewed when your phone is locked. Press the back arrow button to go back to the main page of emergency contacts.
Add Emergency Contacts in Android
The process of adding emergency contacts is a simple, straightforward process.
- On the primary “Emergency contacts” page, choose the “Add contact” option.
- All the contacts in your contact list will show up to select the contact(s) for an emergency.
- Scroll through the list, press the search icon, and search for your desired name. Once you find your preferred contact, tap on and add it to your emergency contacts.
- You can add multiple emergency contacts by pressing the “Add contact” button again.
Testing Access to Emergency Contacts
Once you enable access to emergency info and add the emergency contacts, it is time to test whether they are available without unlocking the phone. First lock your phone screen, then tap on screen after few seconds and slide up. You will see “Emergency call” at the bottom of the screen. Press this button to see the emergency call dial screen.
Tap on the “View emergency info” button to see the emergency contacts you have added before. Tapping that contact will call that number immediately without unlocking the phone. Make a call and check if it goes well.
Now that you have setup and tested the emergency contact in your Android phone. Anyone can access your emergency contact number from the lock screen and call them when needed.