Windows 10 has many different ways to login to your computer. You can use facial recognition, fingerprint, PIN, password, etc. However, there are no automatic way to lock your computer when you are away. The default option is to lock manually before leaving or the computer will lock after some time based on your power settings. Dynamic Lock is a feature in Windows 10 that enables you to lock the computer automatically using your phone.
Requirements for Setting Up Dynamic Lock
In order to setup dynamic lock on your PC, you should do the followings:
- Enable Bluetooth connection in your PC
- Enable Bluetooth connection in your phone, you can use Android or iPhone.
- Pair the devices
- Enable dynamic lock
Whenever you move away from your computer outside the Bluetooth connection zone, your PC will assume you are away and lock automatically.
Enable Bluetooth in Windows 10
First check whether your PC or laptop has a button to turn on and off the Bluetooth. If yes first turn on the Bluetooth button, then follow the below instructions:
- Press “Win + I” keys to open Windows Settings app.
- Click on the “Devices” option.
- Turn on “Bluetooth” under “Bluetooth & other devices” section.
If you are not able to connect to Bluetooth, checkout our guide on troubleshooting Bluetooth connections in Windows 10.
Enable Bluetooth in Phone
Generally, you can go to the settings page on your Android or iPhone and enable the Bluetooth connection. For example, on iPhone you can follow the below instructions:
- Tap on the Settings app.
- Tap on Bluetooth and enable it.
Checkout our guide on fixing Bluetooth issues in iPhone.
Pairing Phone and PC
After enabling Bluetooth on both devices, you need to pair your phone and PC.
- Go back to the Windows Settings page on your PC and click on the + icon that shows “Add Bluetooth or other device”.
- On the next “Add a device” screen, choose “Bluetooth” option.
- Your PC will start searching for the nearby devices and will show your phone’s name.
- Click on the phone to get a PIN number.
- Check your phone and type the PIN to confirm the pairing.
- After confirming with PIN on your phone, you can see the phone name is showing as paired.
How to Setup Dynamic Lock in Windows 10?
After pairing your PC and phone, you are ready to use dynamic lock feature.
- Press “Win + I keys to open Settings app.
- Click on the “Accounts” section and the navigate to “Sign-in options”.
- Scroll down to “Dynamic Lock” section and enable the check box that shows “Allow Windows to automatically lock your device when you’re away”.
- You should see the PC connects to your Bluetooth paired phone when enabling the dynamic lock.
- If there are problems, you will see a warning message mentioning either Bluetooth is off or PC has no paired device. In such case, troubleshoot your Bluetooth connection and ensure you have paired your PC with phone.
How Dynamic Lock Works?
Here comes a tricky part of automation. Dynamic lock will work when you move the phone away from the Bluetooth connection zone of your PC. The general connection range of Bluetooth is around 30 feet and barriers like walls can break the connection. In order to test, leave your PC unlocked. Take the phone and go to another room or go out of your house. Now your PC will automatically detect the drop in Bluetooth connection to your phone and lock your PC. Remember, it may take around 30 seconds for the PC to lock after detecting connection loss to the paired device.
Situations Useful and Not Useful
Now that you can use dynamic lock only for certain situations.
- In office where you forgot to lock your computer and went for lunch.
- Left computer in home without locking and no power options setup.
Below are some situations it will not work:
- Before the computer locks, your kid or someone starts working on it.
- Anyone can access with your login details.
In addition, Windows Security app will show error on account protect when dynamic lock couldn’t detect paired device.
Therefore, dynamic lock is only an additional feature helps you to lock when you are away. It is not a security mechanism to find and lock from threats. If you really want to protect your PC, use password protection for folders, have parental control and always lock your PC before you leave using “Win + L” keys.
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.