In our earlier articles, we have explained how to add printer in Windows and Mac computers. Generally, system remembers the last selection of printer and show it automatically in the print dialog box. However, sometimes you need to manually select the printer each time which will be annoying. This happens when other printer is setup as default or you have multiple printers connected to your computer. At any case, follow the instructions in this article to make your printer as default device in Windows and Mac.
What is Default Printer?
Open your document and press “Control + P” in Windows or “Command + P” in Mac. You will see a printer dialog box and check the name of your printer showing in the list. This is your default printer and you can find whether the printer is online and use the preset configurations like color or black & white printout.
Set Default Printer in Windows from Settings App
Settings app is the place in Windows 11 to configure your system settings and preferences.
- Press “Window + I” keys to open Settings app.
- Go to “Bluetooth & devices” section and click “Printers & scanners” option.
- Scroll down on the settings page and turn off “Let Windows manage my default printer option” showing under “Printer preferences” heading.
- Now, scroll up and click the printer’s name from the list.
- Click “Set as default” option to use that printer as your default device.
Remember, you will not see the “Set as default” button if you do not turn off “Let Windows manage my default printer” option.
Set Default Printer in Windows from Control Panel
This is an easy way to set default printer in Windows compared to using Settings app.
- Open Control Panel app by using the search box from your Taskbar.
- If you have “Category” view, there are quick links for “View devices and printers”. Unfortunately, you can’t navigate through these links as clicking on it will take you back to Windows Settings app.
- What you need is to paste this path Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers in Control Panel’s address bar and press enter key.
- You will see a list of devices and printers installed on your system.
- Right-click on the printer and select “Set as default printer” option.
- You will see a green tick mark and the “State” in the status bar shows “Default” indicating the printer is set as your default device for printing.
Default Printer in Mac Settings (macOS Ventura or Later)
Unlike Windows where the options are scattered over multiple places, the new Mac interface has a consolidated Settings app. However, the interface is different in old and new macOS versions. Follow the below instructions in macOS Ventura or later versions:
- Click Apple logo and select “System Settings” option.
- Scroll down to bottom of the sidebar in Settings app and select “Printers & Scanners” option.
- Click “Default Printer” dropdown and select your printer from the list.
Default Printer in Mac Preferences (macOS Monterey or Earlier Versions)
If you are using older macOS version, then follow the below instructions to set default printer.
- Click Apple logo and go to “System Preferences…” menu.
- You will list of icons and click “Printers & Scanners” icon.
- The “Default printer” option will use “Last Printer Used” option by default.
- Click the dropdown and select your printer from the list and Mac will save your changes automatically.
Checking Default Printer
After settings your default device, you can click the printer’s name and configure the settings if required. Open print menu from any document and you will see the default printer appears automatically and show the online status.
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.