Alarm clocks are things of past due to the handy smartphones. However, there are many reasons for you to set a reminder or alarm when working with Windows 11 desktop or laptop. For example, you may be busily doing some work in night and want to cut off the day with an alarm notification. In this article, let us see two ways to set alarm in Windows 11 PC using in-built Clock app and with a third-party app.
Using Alarm in Windows 11
Unlike smartphones, Windows does not allow playing alarm sound when the display is turned off. This is the same case whether you use the system app or third-party app. Though this defeats the purpose of alarm, you can still use when the system is on and when doing some work.
1. Set Alarm Using Clock App
Windows 10 comes with a default Alarms & Clock app and the same app is redesigned and available as Clock in Windows 11. Clock app not only allows to create multiple alarms but also allows to create world clocks, set timer, use as a stopwatch and create Focus sessions.
Open Clock App
Use Windows Search box in the taskbar to search and open Clock app in your system.
Clock app comes default with most Windows installations. However, if you are not finding the app, go to Microsoft Store and install the Windows Clock app. This is the same Clock app showing the name as Windows Clock in Store.
Create and Setup New Alarm
When the app opens, go to “Alarm” section from the left sidebar and click the “Add an Alarm” + icon showing on bottom right corner.
It will open a small pop-up where you can setup the followings:
- Select hours, minutes and seconds from the timer.
- Name your alarm which is useful to find the purpose when you have multiple alarms in the app.
- Check “Repeat alarm” box if you want to schedule the alarm on daily. You can also different days from the boxes by clicking on them to schedule only on those days.
- Select the music to be played from the dropdown. You have 10 familiar Windows sounds to alert when the Clock app reaches alarm time.
- Next, select the snoozing time to delay and remind after the set time. You can disable snoozing option or select from one of the available options with maximum snoozing time as 1 hour.
- Click “Save” button and you will see the created alarm showing under “Alarm” section. Below the current time, the app will show the remaining time for the alarm.
You can create as many as alarms with different names and manage all of them under “Alarm” section of Clock app.
Unfortunately, you will not see any icon or reminder on system tray after setting an alarm. You can see the alarm on the Clock app icon on the taskbar if the app is open. When the clock reaches your alarm time, Windows will show a notification like below and play the selected alarm chime.
You have options to dismiss the sound or snooze with the default set time in the app. it is also possible to select different time and snooze the alarm. It will alert you when reaching the newly set snoozing time.
Editing and Deleting Alarms
You can anytime go back to “Alarm” section in the Clock app to delete or edit existing items.
- Turn on or off – simply toggle the switch against the alarm to turn it on or off without changing its settings.
- Edit – right-click on the alarm and select “Edit” option or click the pencil icon and select the alarm to edit its settings.
- Delete – right-click on the alarm and select “Delete” option. Alternatively, click the pencil icon and then click on the trash icon showing on the alarm to delete it.
Play Alarm After Focus and Break Sessions
If you want to play alarm sound after Focus and Break sessions, then click the “Settings” option showing on bottom left corner of the Clock app. This will open “Settings” page and scroll down to “Focus sessions” section. Turn on the switch against “End of session sound” and “End of break sound” options.
2. Using Alarm Clock HD App
If you do not like the default Clock app for any reason, then there are plenty of free and premium alarm clock apps available in Microsoft Store. Alarm Clock HD is one such ad supported free app which works exactly like the default Clock app. In addition to setting alarm, you can keep the digital clock on the desktop to see the time with the app.
- Search and install Alarm Clock HD app from Microsoft Store.
- The app will prompt you to set the local city location for determining the clock’s time. Enter your city and then select your country/timezone from the dropdown.
- Go to “Alarms” menu and click “+ New Alarm” button. Provide name, set alarm time, notification sound, snoozing time and save your changes.
- The app will create a new alarm and show under “Alarms” section as below.
- Good part is that the app will show a digital clock and you can see the set alarm just below the menu items.
- The alarm notification will play the set sound and show its set name as shown below. You can either dismiss the sound or snooze as per the set timer.
Anytime you can go back to “Alarms” menu to turn on/off, edit or delete existing alarms. The only issue with this app is that it shows an advertisement below the clock which may be disturbing when you look at the time or setup alarm. You need to upgrade to premium version for removing the ad from app’s interface.
Clock app is useful in Windows 11 to setup alarm and use as a timer or stopwatch. If you want alarm with fancy digital clock, then apps like Alarm Clock HD can help you. As mentioned, alarms will send notifications only when the display is on. In case the display is turned off and you missed the alarm, Clock app will play the notification sound whenever you turn on the display again.