WhatsApp is a free instant messaging app for mobile phones though you can also use the app in desktop. It is undoubtedly the most popular global messaging app from Facebook having an estimated two billion monthly active users as of 2021. WhatsApp has been introducing new and more features like online payments and disappearing messages. However, most of the users do not know how to send formatted customized text messages in WhatsApp message. In this article, we will explain how you can do that with the default features as well using third-party apps.
Sending Customized Text in WhatsApp
WhatsApp do not offer sending customized text message feature until recently for quite a while. Still, the customization is limited to few text formatting features. You can use an alternate option to customize your messages on WhatsApp with the help of third-party apps. However, make sure the receiver can read the message when using third-party apps. Here are some of the reasons why you may be interested in formatting your chat messages.
- Out of few lines of message, you want to highlight few words to show the importance.
- Make sticker with your text to send a fun message.
Customizing Text with Shortcodes
Good part is that WhatsApp comes with some hidden shortcuts which are generally called shortcodes. You can use them to decorate your text in the following manner.
Bold Text with Shortcode
- Open WhatsApp and start a chat.
- After typing your message, enclose all or part of your text message which you want to make bold between asterisks (*) symbols.
- For example, if you are going to send a message, “Hello dear,” but you want the word “dear” in bold, then type this message as follows: Hello *dear*. The recipients will see the message as Hello dear on their phones with the last word in bold.
Italicize Text In WhatsApp
To make all or part of your text message italicized in the chat, enclose the relative text between the underscores (_). For instance, if you want to send the message Hello dear in which the word “dear” is in italic, then type this message as follows: Hello _dear_. It will display in the chat as Hello dear.
Strikethrough Text in WhatsApp
strikethrough your message or a part of it, insert a tilde (~) before and end of the text. To send a message like “Hello dear,” type it as “Hello ~dear~” in the typing area and send it.
Use Monospace Font for Text in WhatsApp
In monospace, the characters in your text message will hold equal horizontal space. To show your text messages in monospace font, type three backticks (`) before starting and three backticks after ending the relevant text. If you want to send “Hello dear” in monospace font, type it as ““`Hello dear“`” and hit the send button. It will appear something like “Hello dear,” depending on the font of your device.
Note: Backtick is also called a prime symbol which is available in the same tilde key in most of US English keyboard layout.
All of the above formatting features of WhatsApp work on the WhatsApp web and desktop application too.
Italicize, Bold, Strikethrough and Monospace Text with Option
If you can’t remember the different formatting codes, there is another convenient way to format your text messages.
- When you type the message in the typing area, select the relevant text by pressing it for a while.
- A list of options will appear in the pop-up showing “Cut,” “Copy,” “Paste,” etc.
- You will see more options in the list like “Bold,” “Italic,” “Strikethrough,” and “Monospace,” etc. as well. If you can’t see all the options, press the line of three dots, and more options will show up in the list.
Using Third-Party App to Send Fancy Text in WhatsApp
As you can see the default options offer simple text formatting features which are not much fun when chatting with your friends. However, you can use third-party apps like WAStickerApps to send stylish text messages with more than 50 different fancy font styles. You can also create your own WhatsApp stickers using the sticker maker app. The app comes with ready to use gallery of stickers and text message styles.
- Install the app from Google Play by searching “Fancy Text + Sticker Maker (WAStickerApps).”
- Once the installation is completed, run the app and give necessary permissions when it asks for.
- You can find different categories in the app’s main interface. The quickest way to get a customized message is to use the “Fancy Text” feature.
- Once you tap on the “Fancy Text” button, the following screen will show you a text box at the top and a list of fancy styles. Type your message and choose the style you like to use from the list that follows.
- Now touch your favorite font style, and the following screen will allow you to copy the text. Once you copy the text, go to your WhatsApp, paste in the typing area, and send it. You can also find your stylish text will show up in the chat.
Creating Own Stickers with Fancy Text
Suppose you are not satisfied with the ready-to-use text styles list; a handful of features are available to the satisfaction of your creativity.
- You can go to the app’s home screen and tap on “Sticker Text” option. Here, you can create your own styles. If there is an image on the screen, tap it and remove it. Now the canvas is ready to put your text, insert an image, change the font, select the text style, change color, etc. Once you are happy with the sticker, hit the “Save Sticker” button.
- If you want to use the newly created sticker in your WhatsApp, go to your saved sticker collection and open it. Press the “Add To WhatsApp” button at the bottom to add the sticker collection to your WhatsApp. If you have installed WhatsApp and WhatsApp Business, it will prompt you to choose the one in which you want to add stickers.
- Once you successfully add the stickers, go to your chat and open stickers. Move to the 3rd party stickers icon, which is situated at the end of the horizontal list of buttons at the bottom of the screen.
- Now you can use your favorite stickers while chatting with your family, friends, colleagues, or clients.
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.