Whenever you create a website with Weebly, you have the following three options to choose the domain for your site address:
- Using subdomain of Weebly
- Buying a domain from Weebly
- Connecting your existing domain to your Weebly site
These options give complete flexibility to decide the site address you want.
Using Weebly Subdomain
This is the first and free option for choosing your Weebly site address. Free sites will be created as a subdomain of Weebly, for example http://yoursitename.weebly.com. You can enter the site address you want in the text box to check the availability. Weebly will instantly show the availability of the subdomain you entered as shown in the below picture.
Register a New Domain With Weebly
The second option is to register a new domain name with Weebly, you also can buy a domain under “Domains” menu.
There are many advantages of buying domain with Weebly:
- Since your site will be hosted on Weebly servers, there are no technical setup activities like DNS settings required if you own a Weebly domain.
- It is easy to control everything in one place by using one Weebly account.
- You will also get $100 free Google Adwords advertising credits. This is an conditional offer of getting $75 when you spend $25 and is applicable only for new AdWords customers.
The disadvantage is the high domain pricing set by Weebly. Below is the picture showing the details of Weebly domain pricing for up to 10 years. This is multifold costly than buying a domain from GoDaddy or Hostgator.
This pricing does not include Weebly Pro features for which you need to pay additional amount on monthly basis.
Connect Your Existing Domain
This is an ideal option for webmasters to buy a domain from other registrars and connect to their free Weebly site. The advantages are:
- Save considerable money on buying domain from Weebly
- Use the free hosting and site builder tools offered by Weebly
The disadvantage is that the initial DNS and CNAME setup are to be done separately on the control panel of the registrar site.
Change Existing Site Address
After setting up your site address by choosing any one of the above method, you always have an option to change your site address at any point of time later. Your existing site address is shown under “Settings” tab along with “Change” button, clicking on which will offer the same three options as explained above to choose your new domain.