Mail app is one of the default apps in iPhone that comes as part of iOS. You can configure multiple email accounts in Mail app from different service providers like Gmail, Microsoft, Yahoo!, etc. Apple introduced exciting new features for Mail app with iOS 16. Among the new features, email scheduling and delaying are two common functions all users need.
Scheduling and Delaying Emails in Mail App
Scheduling feature allows you to send the email later while delaying helps to edit the already sent email and resend with corrections.
Schedule Later to Send Emails Anytime Later
Email service providers like Google already offers email scheduling feature in Gmail. However, you can’t use the feature in Mail app until iOS 15. From iOS 16 onwards, you can schedule emails in iPhone Mail app regardless of your email service provider.
- Compose a new email in Mail app.
- Tap and hold on the send button (icon with up arrow in blue circle).
- You will see the following options for scheduling – Send Now, Send 21:00 Tonight, Send 08:00 Tomorrow and Send Later.
- Select tonight or tomorrow option for automatically triggering the email at the mentioned time.
- For choosing a custom time, select “Send Later…” option. You will see a calendar to pick up the date and enter the time in the box.
- Tap on “Done” after selecting the date/time and you will see a confirmation pop-up.
- The email will be available in “Send Later” folder till the scheduled time. You can go to this folder; swipe left on the scheduled email and select “Trash” option to delete the email. You can also open the email and tap on the trash icon to delete the email.
- For rescheduling the email, open the email from “Send Later” folder and tap on “Edit” button. On the next screen, choose a new date/time. From here also, you can tap on “Cancel Send Later” button to delete the email.
Remember, your iPhone must be connected to internet on the scheduled time for this function to work.
Undo Send or Delay Sending Emails
Did you anytime send an email with typo or sent to wrong recipients and want to undo sending? Providers like Outlook offers recall email function which you can make use to delete the sent email from recipients inbox. Though you can’t do this with Mail app, you can delay sending email up to 30 seconds. You can edit and resend the email if you realize any mistakes within this time.
- First, tap on “Settings” app and go to “Mail” section.
- Scroll down to bottom and tap on “Undo Send Delay” option.
- The delay time is set as 10 seconds by default and you can choose off, 10, 20 or 30 seconds. It is not possible to set your custom time for delaying sending emails.
- After settings the delay duration, go to Mail app and compose an email from your account.
- Fill the sender, subject, email body and simply tap the send button.
- You will see “Undo Send” link at the bottom of the app. You will see this link till the set duration for delaying.
- Tap on “Undo Send” link to edit and resend your email.
- Unfortunately, you can’t delete the email using “Undo Send” function. What you can do is to tap on “Undo Send” link and hold on the send button to schedule it as explained above. With this, you can find the email under “Scheduled Later” folder and delete it without sending.
“Undo Send” feature will only help to delay emails till the set duration. After that the email will be sent and delivered to marked recipients and you can no way recall.