Many people want to capture the activities on their phone for using it later. Though taking screen capture helps, recording a video is the best option when you have audio with continuous movements. If you have iPhone, recording your phone’s screen is a breeze with few taps. However, you will not be disappointed with the latest Android 12. It has a powerful in-built screen recorder for recording the screen actions on your phone. Continue reading if you want to know how to record your phone screen in Android.
Why is Screen Recording Needed?
Recording your phone’s screen has various purposes.
- Gamers often want to record their mobile phone screens to capture the best moments of their gameplay.
- Teachers sometimes want to record their phone or tablet screen for a video lecture or show an activity.
- Many bloggers record the screen to create a video for instructional articles. They also publish the instruction videos in YouTube and other video sharing platforms.
Whatsoever is the reason, you can either use the in-built option or use a third-party app. Here we will explain both options in detail.
Record Phone Screen in Android with Default Screen Recorder
Android 12 has an improved version of the screen recorder built right into the system which you can access through “Quick Settings”. However, the screen recorder is usually not visible in the quick settings menu. To bring it into the quick settings menu, follow the steps below.
Add Screen Recorder in Quick Settings
This is only required if the screen recorder is not available in the quick settings menu. If screen recorder is already available in the quick settings menu, you can move to the next section.
- Unlock your phone and swipe your finger from the top of the screen to the bottom.
- A condensed quick settings menu will appear, showing the icons like Internet, Bluetooth, etc.
- Drag your finger again from top to bottom. It will open an expanded view of the quick settings menu.
- See if the “Screen recorder” icon is available in the menu. Swipe left to see the other menus in the list. If “Screen recorder” is there, then move to the next section. Otherwise, continue.
- Touch the “Edit” icon in the lower-left corner. It will open the edit menu where you can hold and drag tiles.
- Scroll down the list and spot the “Screen recorder” tile. Hold it and drag it in the upward direction. Place it in the upper pallet.
- Touch the arrow to go back and check if the “Screen recorder” is now available in the quick settings menu. You can swipe left to see the remaining icons.
How to Record Phone Screen in Android?
After adding screen recorder in quick settings menu, make everything ready for your recording. For example, the game or lesson plan to start the screen recording to avoid capturing unnecessary prior activities like game loading. The steps to start the screen recording are given below.
- Go to the quick settings menu by dragging your finger twice from top to bottom of the screen. Locate the “Screen recorder” icon and tap on it.
- A pop-up message will show up with the options. If you want to record the audio along the screen, enable the “Record audio” switch. There are further options if you touch the “Record audio” text. You can either record sound from microphone only or choose to record sound from your device like music, calls, etc. You can select both as well.
- Another option is to show touches on the screen. Enable it if you want to display your touches visually in the video. This is useful while creating instructional videos to record the finger touches on the screen.
- Press the “Start” button in the lower right corner to start the screen recording.
- The countdown will start from 3 to 1. Screen recording will begin with a slight beep.
- To stop the screen recording, swipe your finger from top to bottom of the screen. It will display the “Screen recorder” in the notification area with a stop button below. Tap on it to stop the screen recording.
- You can watch the recorded video now.
After recording your video, you can also use the in-built feature in Android 12 to edit and trim the unwanted portions of the video.
How to Record Phone Screen in Android with Third-Party App?
Android 12 screen recorder is not very customizable. If you want more controls for your screen recordings like play and pause function, changing video resolution, and screen orientation, then thirty-party apps are the best. There are numerous apps available for screen recording. We are presenting the one which does not need root access. It is free and does not place a watermark on the video. AZ Screen Recorder provides the best features like video editor and live stream along with screen recorder.
Install the AZ Screen Recorder app from Google Play store.
Open the app once the installation is completed. The app will ask to grant permission to draw over other apps. Hit “Allow” to confirm the permission. Now, it will display the list of apps allowed to draw over. Look for “AZ Screen Recorder” which should show the status with “Not allowed”. Tap on it and the next page will display a switch to allow display over other apps. Turn it on and go back to the “AZ Screen Recorder”.
The app will display a quick start guide for you to understand the functions. The home screen will ask to get storage access permission and press the “Turn it on” button. The next screen will display “AZ Screen Recorder” App permissions. Select “Files and media” and allow access. Give other permissions like “Microphone” if you want to record audio from the phone microphone. Finally, go back to the home page of the app.
- “AZ Screen Recorder” button will float on the side of your screen and tap on it. It will expand with few other buttons to record the screen or go for a live session. You can choose settings to customize or press the record button to start the screen recording.
- If you want to pause the screen recording, swipe down your finger, and see the notification area. The app will show you the “Stop” and “Pause” buttons.
- Similarly, you can tap on the “Tools” button and display more options for Screenshot, Camera, or Brush.
- “Screenshot” will display another icon on the left side of your screen to take a screenshot.
- ‘Camera’ will turn on the front camera of your mobile phone, and a small window will appear in the corner of the screen with your video. This option helps record the lectures showing the instructor through the front camera.
- Enabling “Brush” will give you the ability to draw on the screen. This feature is once again useful for teaching.
- Press the “Stop” button to stop the video. The app will automatically save the video file in your phone.
Go back to the home screen of the app. You can find the list of all the recorded videos there. You can tap “Settings” options to customize and explore tons of other available features.