How to Move Installed Apps to Another Drive in Windows?
Having low storage on the installation drive will affect the performance of your computer. Therefore, moving installed apps from your computers system drive to a separate drive can help. You can quickly move the apps with the inbuilt Windows options. Alternatively, you can also use third-party applications available on the internet for this purpose. Here are options you can consider to move installed apps to another drive.
Move Installed Apps from System Drive to Another Drive in Windows
You can move the installed apps from your computers default system drive to any other drive depending on your computer’s partition. You can also install your future applications in a more spacious disk to avoid system disk overwhelming.
In case the application options are greyed out, you can not move it.
Using Windows Settings
- Open Windows Settings using the “Win + I” shortcut keys and select the “System” tab.
- Select the “Storage” icon on the side under System options. Then select the “Apps & features” option.
- Select the app you want to move. But you cannot move the system applications or applications whose options are greyed out. Click the “Move” option.
- Select the drive to move the app to from the drop-down. Click the “Move” button to confirm. It will take a few seconds, depending on its size.
Your application data will be transferred to your target drive.
Application developers are always ahead to fix any problem that may come with Windows applications. Therefore, there are programs that you can use to move applications from system drive to a separate drive. If you have an internet connection, you can download and use them.
Search on the internet for Application Mover or Steam Mover. Install any of them and move your applications. However, if you fear about your data security, you can opt for another alternative.
Uninstall and Reinstall
If you find the first option is not working for you and the second option is risky, you can consider uninstalling and reinstalling the application. This option will take time but will prove to be the best. Also, all the data will be saved in your target drive. You can also access without slowing it very quickly.
How to Set the Installation Drive for the Future Applications?
You can also set a drive for your future application installations and file downloads. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about application location and computer storage in the future.
- Open the Windows settings, select the “System” option and navigate to the “Storage” section.
- Select the “Change where new content is saved” to open. You can now change the default saving drive for each option as you want. Select the drive and click the “Apply” option to confirm.
When you install applications, make sure to select the spacious drive on your hard drive.
Now you can move your applications to and from different drives. However, we do not recommend moving applications since data can be lost. You can uninstall the apps and reinstall on the partition drive where you have sufficient space. Alternatively, you can increase the space of your system drive for your computer to run smoothly.