Mail is the app in iPhone for using single or multiple email accounts. You can easily add any email service providers like iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo!, Outlook, etc. and check your emails on the go. However, junk emails are one of the biggest headaches for users as they waste the productivity. In addition, junk emails are one of the top reasons for illegal collection of personal and financial data. Therefore, managing junk emails in iPhone is necessary to protect your data and save your time.
Junk Email Filter in iPhone
Since Mail is an app with no actual email service linked, iPhone does not offer any spam or junk filter options. However, you have the following features with Mail app in iPhone for managing junk emails.
- The app allows you to manually mark the emails as junk.
- You can do this for single email or bulk emails at once.
- Marked emails will be moved to junk folder available in your mail account. If there is no folder existing, Mail app will create a new junk folder and move the marked emails.
- Junk emails will stay for 30 days and will be deleted automatically from your account.
After marking the emails as junk, the service provider like Gmail will have to consider the sender as spam and move all future emails automatically to the junk folder.
Mark Emails as Junk in iPhone Mail App
There are many ways available for you to mark the email as junk. In ideal situation, you can report the email as spam before opening and viewing the message. However, it is not possible practically as the sender name will show some legitimate user like your bank name.
1. Marking Single Email as Junk Before Opening
This is a good option when you consistently receive emails from the same spammer.
- When you are in your account, swipe left gently on the email that you want to move to junk folder. Make sure to swipe gently, otherwise swiping to full left will move the email to trash.
- You will see multiple options appears and tap on “More”.
- Swipe up the list of options appears to view the fill list.
- Select “Move to Junk” and the selected email will be instantly moved to junk folder without any confirmation prompt.
2. Marking Spam After Opening Email
If you have already opened an email and found it as a spam, you can take an action right from there.
- First, tap on the sender name to expand the detail. Again, tap on the sender name link to open contact page for the sender which will show the complete email address. If the email is suspicious or unknown then tap on “Done” to go back to your email.
- You have two options to report the email as junk.
- One is to tap on the folder icon showing at the bottom of the email and then select “Junk” folder to move the email.
- Second is to the tap on the “Reply” icon and then select “Move to Junk” option.
3. Marking Bulk Emails as Junk
When you want to mark multiple emails as spam, you can do that from the inbox list view.
- Tap on “Edit” link showing on top right corner when you are viewing the inbox.
- Now there will be a radio button appears in front of all the email.
- Tap on the radio button to select multiple emails that you want to mark as junk.
- After you selected emails, the links at the bottom will become active.
- Tap on “Mark” and then select “Move to Junk” option.
- Alternatively, tap on “Move” and then tap on “Move xx Messages…” option. This will open the folder list and select “Junk” folder to move all the selected emails at once.
Moving Emails Back to Inbox
If you have wrongly moved legitimate emails to junk, simply go to junk folder and send single or multiple mails back to your inbox same was as explained above in methods 2 and 3. In case, if you have realized the mistake immediately after marking the emails, then simply shake your phone to see the “Undo Move…” popup appears and select “Undo” to revert your action. This will also make sure you will receive further emails from the sender in your inbox and not in junk folder.
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.