Microsoft Edge has favorites whereas other browsers call them bookmarks. Favorites are a way of saving your most visited sites and the sites you would like to visit again in future. Microsoft Edge allows you to manage these favorites in simple and effectively. In this article Let’s see how to manage favorites in Microsoft Edge browser in Windows 10.
Learn more on how to manage bookmarks in Google Chrome.
Manage Favorites in Microsoft Edge
Following are the different aspects by which you can manage favorites in Edge:
- Creating favorites
- Viewing existing favorite
- Delete a favorite
- Importing favorites from other browsers
- Importing favorited from a file
- Exporting favorites from Edge
1. Create a Favorite
Adding your favorite website or creating a favorite is not a hectic job, just a few clicks and it’s done. Follow these steps to create favorite in edge:
- In the address bar of Edge, type the website URL that you would like to make favorite and press ‘Enter’ key.
- Click on the ‘Star’ button at the right-side of the URL address bar. Then, you’ll see two tabs in a small popup. You can also use ‘Control + D’ shortcut keys to open favorites in Edge.
- The first tab is for ‘Favorites’ and other is for ‘Reading list’. In the ‘Favorite’ tab or section, choose the location where you want to save the website. The ‘Favorites’ location is for saving the website in your favorites list. The ‘Favorites Bar’ location is for saving the website in your favorites bar which will be underneath of the URL address bar. You can also create a new folder if you want.
- After that, click on ‘Add’ button.
2. View a Favorite
Edge does not show up the favorites bar under the URL address bar, by default. You need to turn it on from the setting options. To enable it:
- Start the Edge browser and click on ‘Settings and more’ button from the top-right corner or press ‘Alt + X’ to open it directly. Learn more alt code shortcuts for Windows and Mac.
- Click on ‘Settings’ then under ‘Favorites’, turn ‘On’ the option ‘Show the favorites bar’.
Now you should able to see the favorites bar under the address bar of the Edge. The favorites bar is very useful to keep most frequently visited websites, so that you can open the sites in one click without navigation. Once you enable the favorites bar, there will another option to only show favicon of the website. If you enable this option, favorites bar will show the website icon otherwise by default the title of the webpage is shown in the favorites bar.
Learn more on how to delete default favorites in Safari iOS.
3. Delete a Favorite
If you do not want a favorite any more, then simply delete it from your list. To remove a favorite:
- Open your Edge browser, click on the ‘Hub’ icon given at the top-right corner.
- In the ‘Favorites’ panel, you’ll see the list of favorite websites. Right-click on the website and choose the ‘Delete’ option to remove it.
4. Importing Favorites from Other Browsers
If you want to import bookmarks from your previous browser then Edge provides you an option for that too. To import bookmarks in Edge, follow these steps:
- Open your Edge browser and click on ‘Settings and more’ button from the top-right corner, again click on ‘Settings’ option.
- Under ‘Import favorites and other info’, click on the button ‘Import from another browser’.
- If your previous browser was ‘Chrome’ then select ‘Chrome’ and click on ‘Import’ button. After completion, it says ‘All done!’ and you can view the imported favorites by clicking on the given link right there. Follow the same process for importing bookmarks from ‘Firefox’ and old favorites from ‘Internet Explorer’.
If you don’t see the browser name for importing the favorites then use the file option to move favorites from your current browser to Edge.
5. Importing Favorites from File
If you have an HTML file of bookmarks/favorites, then there is an option importing all the favorites from that file also:
- Click on the ‘Import from file’ button under ‘Import or export a file’ section.
- Choose the file from your PC and click on ‘Open’. After completion, all the bookmarks will be in your Edge browser.
6. Exporting Favorites
If you want to export the favorites in an HTML file then there is an option for that too. Follow the steps given below:
- Open your Edge browser and click on the ‘Settings and more’ button from the top-right corner.
- Navigate to the path ‘Settings > Import from another browser’.
- Under ‘Import or export a file’, click on ‘Export to file’ button.
- Choose the location where you want to save this file and click on ‘Save’ button.
- You will see a small success message ‘All done!’.
Now, all the favorites has been successfully exported to your PC. Remember, Edge only supports importing or exporting of favorites in HTML file format. You can open the exported HTML favorites file on any browser, the content will be similar to the favorites you have organized in Edge. You can use the exported HTML file to move all favorites from Edge to another browsers like Chrome or Firefox.