Though millions of people everyday use Google for searching all kind of keywords, Google does not treat all types of sites equally. Especially, Google gives more weightage for businesses and offers special tools for business owners to appear on the local Google search results. For example, a local restaurant business site will be listed on top compared to a site writing the experience about the restaurant. In order to indicate Google that your site represents a local business, you first need to add your business address in Google My Business listings and verify the physical location through one of the method offered by Google.
In this article we will explain the step by step process of adding your local business in Google places or My Business.
How to List Local Business in Google Places?
Go to the Google Business site and click on the “Start Now” button. Login with your Google account, this can be your Gmail account and if you don’t have a one then signup for the account by clicking on the “Create account” link. Once logged in, you will see the map with the search box to find your business. Enter the business name and check whether it is already listed, if not then click on the “Add your business” link.
Fill out the details required on the form – ensure to add the exact name of your business and choose one or two categories most suitable for your business. A location mark will be placed on the map if Google can identify your address. Otherwise you can manually place the mark on the map to fix your location.
The next step is to create a “Google+” page for your business. Confirm the address you had given and click on continue to create a Google+ page.
You will be prompted to verify your business and the verification options vary based on your location.
- Verify by postcard – this is most applicable option for most of the businesses and the verification code will be sent to the mentioned address through a post week within 1-2 weeks.
- Verify by phone – selected businesses may have an option to get the verification code through the registered phone number.
- Verify via Google Webmaster Tools – selected business categories may have an option to verify instantly if the site is already verified with Google Webmaster Tools.
- Bulk verification – if your business runs on more than 10 locations then you can do the bulk verification using Google My Business locations.
We explain here the postcard verification method. Just click on the “Mail me my code” to request a postcard from Google, also you can add optional contact name in the address.
Below are some of the important points on verification:
- Verification is required to show your business in the Google map.
- Till the time you verify the listing will be showing as unverified or it will never show up in the search results.
- The verification code will be sent within 1-2 weeks.
- The verification code is valid for 30 days from the day it was sent. You can request for a new code in case if you did not receive the code.
Click on the “Send postcard” and you will see a confirmation message like below.
The final step is to customize your Google+ page with required details.
Once you have received the verification code, enter it using the “Enter code” option shown on top of your business’s Google+ page.
What does Google mean by ‘select businesses’? Not all places have physical postal addresses to verify by mail and in South Africa, postal services are shocking.
You need to have a physical address in order to verify the address and list as local business.