PowerPoint is the most powerful application for making beautiful presentation slides. You can insert icons, images, SmartArt and shapes in your slide to make them appealing to viewers. However, many users do not know that they can also insert YouTube video in PowerPoint slides. In this article, we will explain how to do that using PowerPoint Microsoft 365 version in Windows and Mac computers. Remember, you can also convert your normal slides to a video in PowerPoint and then upload it in YouTube.
Why to Insert YouTube Video in PowerPoint?
There are many situations, you may need to create a complex workflow to explain the content. Using SmartArt and flowchart are some of the options though the best way is to use videos.
- YouTube has large number of instructional videos which you can use instead of creating graphics on your own. If required, make sure to get required permission from the video owner for using videos in commercial presentations.
- You may also own a YouTube channel and want to use the videos of your own.
- Video can save lot of time and explain the complex stuff clearly to your readers.
Get URL of YouTube Video
Before inserting the video in your slide, first you need to get the URL of the video. Open the video that you want to find the URL in a browser. There are two options available to copy the video URL in YouTube.
- You can directly copy the link from the browser’s address bar.
- Alternatively, click on the “Share” link showing below the video and copy the URL to clipboard.
Insert YouTube Video in PowerPoint Windows
Once you have the required video URL, open the PowerPoint presentation and navigate to “Insert” menu and click on “Media” button. Select “Video” and then click “Online Videos…” menu.
This will open a pop-up asking you to enter the URL of the video. As you can see in the pop-up, PowerPoint allows you to insert videos from YouTube, Vimeo, SlideShare and Microsoft Stream.
Paste the YouTube video URL in the box showing below “Enter the address for the online video” heading. PowerPoint will try to fetch the preview of the video from YouTube server. Sometime it will take long time to show the preview, however, you do not need to wait for that. Simply click on “Insert” button to proceed further.
Now, PowerPoint will again try to connect to YouTube server to get the video file. You will see a pop-up showing “Contacting the server for information” and a message in the status bar showing “PowerPoint is inserting media” with a progress bar.
Inserting video may take some time depending upon the size and the quality. Once done, you will see a small thumbnail size video embedded in the slide. You can drag and align the video size to fit the content on the slide or drag to all four sides to occupy the full slide’s space.
Insert YouTube Video in PowerPoint Mac Version
The process is exactly same in PowerPoint for Mac version with minor differences in the menu items and pop-up.
- Go to “Insert” menu and click on “Video” button showing nearer to the right end of the ribbon.
- You will see a list of menu items appear in a dropdown and select “Online Movies…” from the list.
- Now the video embed pop-up will appear where you can paste your YouTube video URL and click “Insert” button.
- You will see a message showing PowerPoint is contacting the server and then the video will be inserted in the slide.
- You can drag and align the video size as per your need.
Playing Video and Using Design Ideas
It is possible to play the video in a normal slide view or using the slideshow mode. However, remember the following points when inserting YouTube videos in PowerPoint.
- Since the video is always stored in YouTube website, you should be connected to internet when you want to play the video in PowerPoint.
- You will see all the controls as exactly you see in YouTube website like play, pause and video list recommendation.
- We recommend using “Design Ideas” to automatically add background and adjust the video size in your slide. This will save time as well as make the slide beautiful while playing the video.
- By default, the video will start “In Click Sequence” and you change to play “Automatically” or “When Clicked On”. After inserting the video, select it to view two additional menu items – Video Format and Playback” – appear in the top. You can change the starting behavior under “Playback” menu by clicking on “Start” dropdown.
- Under “Video Format” section, you can change the default poster frame (thumbnail image) and apply colors, corrections, border, frame, etc.
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.