You can use SUM formula in Excel to add numbers from different cells and display the sum in any other cell. This is an easy task, what about if you want to show the summation symbol in the cell beside the actual sum. Most of the keyboard shortcuts will not work in Excel as it is a spreadsheet and not a word processing software. In this article, let us explain how to insert summation symbol in Excel. Also, learn more on how to compare two Excel workbooks.
Insert Summation Σ Symbol in Excel
Summation symbol is a Latin capital letter sigma Σ in Unicode block. You can insert in Excel, using the Symbols utility. Let’s say you want to insert the symbol in the left side cell of your actual sum as shown below.
- After opened you Excel, double click on the cell you want to insert the symbol.
- Go to “Insert > Symbols” menu and click “Symbols” option.
- You will see “Symbols” popup showing lots of special symbols and characters.
- Click on “Symbols” tab and change the font to “Symbol”. Ensure to select this font, otherwise, you will not see the symbol.
- Find sigma Σ symbol and select.
- Click on “Insert” button to insert inside the cell.
Insert Σ Using Equation
Instead of using symbols utility, you can also use equations to insert summation Σ symbol.
- Go to “Edit > Symbols” menu in your Excel spreadsheet.
- This time select “Equations” option.
- Under “Basic Maths” functions, choose Σ symbol.
The problem with equation editor is that the symbols are overlaying on the cells like an image. You need to move and resize the symbol to align on your sheet. So, we recommend to use symbols instead of equation. Also, before going to the menu item, double click on the cell you want to insert the summation symbol. This will disable the equations option and you will be allowed to insert only symbols inside a cell.
On Mac Excel Version
Follow the below instructions, if you want to insert Σ symbol in Excel Mac version.
- Launch your Excel app and go to “Insert > Symbols” menu.
- This will open Symbol utility having different special characters and symbols.
- Click on “Symbols” icon and choose “Greek” option from the dropdown.
- Select the Σ symbol to insert on your sheet.
Alt Code Shortcuts for Σ Symbols
Though alt code shortcut may not work on Windows Excel, they will work on other documents like Word and Pages app. Later, copy and paste the symbol on your Excel.
|Greek Capital Letter Sigma (Σ)||Alt + 931|
|Mathematical Bold Italic Capital Sigma (𝜮)||Alt + 120622|
|Mathematical Sans-Serif Bold Capital Sigma (𝝨)||Alt + 120680|
|Mathematical Bold Capital Sigma (𝚺)||Alt + 120506|
|Mathematical Italic Capital Sigma (𝛴)||Alt + 120564|
|Mathematical Sans-Serif Bold Italic Capital Sigma (𝞢)||Alt + 120738|
On Mac Numbers and Pages apps, you can press option + 03A3 keys with Unicode Hex Input to type summation symbol.