By default, Windows will show the floating notifications on the lower right-corner of the screen when it comes. If you did not act on it, you can always click on the clock to see the notification center and go through all missed items. However, did you ever wonder on keeping the floating notifications for longer time. It is a simple setting in Windows 11 and you can set the duration easily as per your convenient.
Default Notification Display Time
Windows 11 by default shows the notification 5 seconds. Yes, it is just 5 seconds and the item will move to notification center if you do not act on it. Though this may be sufficient when you get a single notification, it is definitely not enough when you get multiple or frequent notifications.
Also, apps like Snipping Tool uses this notification feature to show the captured screenshot in the floating notification. You may want to increase the time to 15 or 30 seconds so that you have sufficient time to act on. There are couple of ways you can do this Windows 11.
1. Change Notification Display Time from Settings App
This is the easiest option and follow the below instructions:
- Press “Windows + I” shortcut keys to open Settings app. Alternatively, you can right-click on Start icon and select “Settings” from the menu or open Settings app from Start menu list.
- When you are in Settings app click “Accessibility” option from the left side bar.
- You will see plenty of items on the right pane and click on “Visual effects” option.
- You can find the last option in the “Visual effects” section as “Dismiss notifications after this amount of time”.
- By default, it should show 5 seconds and click on the dropdown to change the duration.
- You will see 5 seconds, 7 seconds, 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute and 5 minutes.
- Select the duration, let us say, 30 seconds.
That’s it!!! when the next notification arrives, it will show for 30 seconds as per your setting. You can any time go back to “Visual effects” section and change the setting again.
2. Change from Control Panel
If you are the old Control Panel guy, then you can use the app as long as it is available in Windows 11.
- Press “Windows + S” keys to open the Search.
- Type “control panel” in the box and open Control Panel app from the result.
- Change the “View by” option to “Large icons” and then click on “Ease of Access Center”.
- Scroll down a bit and click on “Use the computer without a display” link available under “Explore all settings” section.
- On the next screen, check under “Adjust time limits and flashing visuals” section.
- You will find “How long should Windows notification dialog boxes stay open?” option with the value set as 5 seconds by default.
- Click the dropdown and you will see a set of options like Settings app.
- Select the duration you want from the list and notifications will stay as per the selected time.
3. Using Registry Editor
The last option is to use Registry Editor and change the duration.
- Press “Win + R” keys to open Run prompt. Type regedit in the box and press “OK” button to open Registry Editor app.
- Copy paste the below path in Registry Editor’s address bar and press enter key.
- Double click on the “MessageDuration” item to edit its value.
- On the pop-up and you will see the “Value data” shows as 5 which is the default notification display time in seconds.
- Make sure to change the “Base” to “Decimal” and enter the duration in “Value data” box. You should enter the duration in seconds, for example 30 for 30 seconds and 60 for 1 minute. Though you can type less than 5 in the box, system will always consider 5 seconds as the minimum value.
- Click “OK” to apply the changes and close Registry Editor app.
- Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
It is awkward to manage the notifications only with 5 seconds display time especially when you receive multiple items at the same time. You can use one of the following methods to increase the duration and set up to 5 minutes delay.