Fix Slow Internet Connection and Speedup Browsing in Windows 10
All of us hate slow internet connection. Sometimes you have good internet speed from your internet service provider (ISP) but still face the slow internet connection issue. It just makes you sit in front of the computer and gets nothing. At that time, you ask yourself that what is the problem and how to fix it? In this article, we came up with some tweaks that will help to fix slow internet connection and speed up your browsing activities.
1. Reset and Reposition Your Router
Some of you don’t even look at your router just because of your busy schedule and work pressure. But, most of the internet problems can be fixed through your router. This is the time that your router should be given a break. So, just press the reset button and do it. If you have a separate modem, reset that as well too. Keep in mind that this will not boost your internet speed very much. But, slow internet problem can be easy to fix.
One more thing which you can do is, change the position of your router. Putting that device in the corner is not the appropriate position for it. Wi-Fi signal won’t be able to reach you properly. Place it nearby you somewhere in the center. This can be the position where you work on daily basis.
2. Check Cables
You need to check whether or not your cables are ok or not. Sometimes, it’s our ethernet cable which is the culprit. Maybe it’s broken or need to be replaced. The poor condition of wire always slows down the internet connection. Also, connect your important devices with the ethernet cable rather than Wi-Fi. This is because direct wired connections are fast as compared to the wireless connections.
3. Increase Packet Size and Bandwidth
Increasing the packet size in your Windows can really help you in getting amazing internet speed. The ‘Group Policy Editor’ allows us to do that. It’s not available on Windows 10 Home version. But available on other versions of Windows like Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise. You can install group policy editor on Windows 10 Home with a trick but it’s not recommended by us.
- Press ‘Windows + R key’ to open ‘Run’. Type ‘Gpedit.msc’ command and hit ‘Enter’ key from the keyboard.
- Navigate to this path (Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > QoS Packet Scheduler) to open the last folder which is ‘QoS Packet Scheduler’.
- Double-click on ‘Limit reservable bandwidth’. It will open up a prompt for you.
- Click on ‘Enabled’ and change the bandwidth limit to ‘0’. Click on ‘Apply’ then ‘Ok’.
- Now, open the ‘Limit outstanding packets’ by double-clicking on it from QoS packet scheduler.
- By clicking on ‘Enabled’ you can set the ‘Number of packets’ and type ‘4000000000’ value in it. This is the maximum limit of the number of packets.
- Click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘Ok’.
4. Changing the DNS Server Addresses
Sometimes only changing the DNS server addresses to fast DNS servers can resolve the Internet issues. DNS server provides the requests you made through the browser. Hence, it is necessary that these requests should be fast. Given below are the fastest DNS servers out there.
- Google Public DNS: Preferred DNS server (188.8.131.52), Secondary DNS server (184.108.40.206).
- OpenDNS: Preferred DNS server (220.127.116.11), Secondary DNS server (18.104.22.168).
5. Use Adblocker in Browser
90% of the site owners out there display ads on their website to generate revenue. Though we don’t recommend to block the ads, some sites show annoying ads in pop-up disturbing user experience. In general these floating ads, banners ads and especially auto playing videos consume high network bandwidth and slow down your internet. These stuffs consume your internet data and take time to load also. On browser like Safari, you can simply use reader view to get rid of these annoying ads. On Chrome, though you can use pop-up blocker, simply installing an Adblocker extension will help much.
- Visit this Adblocker extension and click on ‘Add to Chrome’.
- Click on ‘Add extension’ button and it will be successfully added.
The extension will block all of the advertisements and save your internet data thus increases page loading speed.
6. Change Internet Plan or Your Internet Service Provider
These days internet plans have the limits. When this limit is crossed, the internet service provider restricts your speed and data. Maybe your internet connection is fine but all you need is more data. This might be the time that you should change the internet plan.
Windows 10 also offer an option to configure to a metered plan when needed to restrict the usage. So, if you have a limited internet plan then switch to metered connection tp monitor the bandwidth and restrict the apps that use more bandwidth.