Windows 10 is the most popular operating system available for users. However, it throws different types of warnings and errors when using your computer. One of the strange warnings you will receive is about the recycle bin corruption issue. In this article, we will explain why this issue occurs and possible solutions to fix recycle bin is corrupted issue in Windows. Learn more Recycle Bin tips to optimize your routine.
What is Recycle Bin Corrupted Error?
You will suddenly see a warning message like below. It says, “The Recycle Bin on C:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?”.
This is for the C: drive and it can be for any drive on your computer. You can either click on “Yes” or “No” button to close the prompt. However, it will reappear again to disturb your work. Even you manually clean up the recycle bin, this warning message will continue to appear.
Why This Occurs?
You may be surprised to see this message as everything might have been working properly before. The hypothetical reason for this warning message is that Windows is missing file permissions to access the recycle bin. While there could also be multiple other reasons for this warning depending upon your previous action.
How to Fix Recycle Bin Corrupted Issue?
Here are some of the solutions you can try to fix this issue.
1. Check Security Status
Before trying any other options, first check whether you have a security issue from Windows Security.
- Press “Win + I” keyboard shortcut to open Windows Settings.
- Click on “Update & Security” section.
- Go to “Windows Security” tab and check all available options are showing in green status.
- If you find any problems, go to “Virus & threat protection” section and click on “Check for updates” option under “Virus & threat protection updates” section.
- This will update the latest security files and you can run a full scan to make sure there are no security problems. Remember, running a full scan may take few hours depending on the number of files on your computer.
Now, restart your computer and check the problem is resolved. In most cases, this will help you to fix the recycle bin is corrupted issue.
2. Update Windows
When you are in “Security & Update” section go to “Windows Update” tab. Check if you have any pending updates and install the latest update.
Restart your computer and check whether the recycle bin is corrupted warning message appears again.
3. Reset Recycle Bin
If the above two methods did not help then you have an option to remove recycle bin in Windows 10. You can delete the recycle bin along with the content and Windows will recreate when you boot the computer.
- Click on Windows Search box and type CMD.
- Click on the “Run as administrator” option against the “Command Prompt” app.
- This will open Command Prompt with an elevated administrator access.
- Copy and paste the below command.
rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin
- Make sure to replace the drive letter C: with the drive you are getting the warning message and press enter.
- You will not see any confirmation message.
- Type exit and quit the Command Prompt.
Here is the meaning of the command and what it does:
- rd – remove directory command
- /s – delete the folder along with all files and subfolders inside
- /q – quietly execute the command without any Y/N prompt
- C: – drive letter
- $Recycle.Bin – location of recycle bin
You have to run this command for all the drives on your hard disk by changing the drive letter. After quitting Command Prompt, restart your computer and check the warning message is disappeared.
Make sure to access the Command Prompt in administrator mode. Otherwise, you will see “Access Denied” error when trying to run the command.
For any reasons, if Command Prompt method did not work, you can boot the computer in “Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt”. When Command Prompt opens, you can run the same above command and reset the recycle bin.
4. Repair Corrupted Files
As mentioned, the warning may appear when you have done any changes related to file permissions. The best option here is to revert back your file permissions which could help in getting rid of the warning. Alternatively, you can go to Command Prompt and run sfc/scannow to use System File Checker. Windows will check the file integrity errors and replace the corrupted files with correct versions from Microsoft. This can potentially fix most of the errors and warning like recycle bin issue.
We hope one of the above methods would have helped you to fix the recycle bin corrupted issue in Windows computer. If the warning prompt continues, you may need to check whether your computer is infected with malware. You can download and use the free Microsoft Safety Scanner or use any other third-party application for scanning your computer.