It is very easy to connect to any Wi-Fi network from phone by simply entering the password. Once you connect to the network, your Android phone will automatically save the password in its storage. This is for convenience because the next time you come to that location; your phone will automatically connect to that network without entering any password. This makes it easy for you to connect Wi-Fi networks at home, office, coffee shops, stores, etc. However, in many situations you may actually need the password for your Wi-Fi network. In this article, we will explain how to find Wi-Fi password in Android phone for the currently connected and previously saved networks.
Why to Find Wi-Fi Password?
Let’s say, you have connected to a Wi-Fi network using the phone in a coffee shop. After few days, you are going to the same shop with your laptop and want to connect to the same network. It is sometimes not convenient to get the password again at that location. As your Android phone remembers all the Wi-Fi passwords by default, you can see the Wi-Fi password from your Android phone and use it for your laptop or any other device. Similarly, you may want to share the password with your family members or friends newly coming to your house.
In the latest version of Android 12, it is pretty straightforward to find the password. This is a big difference with iPhone which does not allow to view Wi-Fi passwords and you need Mac for that purpose.
Note: You can easily share the internet connection by setting up mobile hotspot or using QR code without knowing the Wi-Fi password.
Find Wi-Fi Password for Currently Connected Network
Follow the below instruction, if you want to find the Wi-Fi password for the currently connected network.
- Open quick access settings by sliding down your finger from the top of the phone screen in an unlocked state.
- Press and hold on “Internet” button for few seconds.
- The next screen will show you the list of available Wi-Fi networks. Now tap the Wi-Fi network name to which your Android phone is connected.
- The next screen will show you the network details like signal strength, frequency, security, etc. At the top, you will see three buttons in a row: Forget, Disconnect and Share.
- Tap “Share” to open the sharing options. If the phone asks for verification, type the password and confirm.
- The following screen will show you the QR code for the Wi-Fi network.
- You can find the Wi-Fi password below the QR code. Note it and use it on another device to connect to that Wi-Fi.
As mentioned, you can use the QR code to share the Wi-Fi network from your phone to other devices without using the password.
Find Previously Saved Wi-Fi Passwords in Android
Suppose you want to find a Wi-Fi password, which was previously saved on your Android phone, but your phone is currently not connected to that Wi-Fi network. Follow the below instructions to find the passwords of all the saved Wi-Fi networks.
- Open the internet settings from the quick access palette as explained above.
- Find “Saved networks” on the page that lists all the Wi-Fi networks and open the saved Wi-Fi network list.
- Tap on the name of the Wi-Fi network for which you want to find the password.
- You will see the detail of the network on the next screen. Tap on the share button and verify if your phone asks for it.
- You will again see the QR code to share the network, and below the QR code is the Wi-Fi password.
In this way, you can find the passwords of any previously connected Wi-Fi networks in your Android phone.