Apple devices are one of the costliest products in the tech world. Be an iPhone or MacBook, you can easily buy two devices for the cost of single Apple product. Though you can easily use your iPhone, iPad, Watch or Mac for 5+ years, the devices will be outdated in terms of speed and latest features. Apple also continuously releases new products and your devices may quickly be out of the support list of latest OS. If you are in a situation to sell your old device or do not know what to do with your old iPhone, iPad or Mac, here is how you can find the resale value and trade in for a new device.
Apple Trade In Program
The easy way is to check the official trade in program from Apple to sell your device and buy a new item. Make sure your device is not damaged and in a good condition to get the estimated value.
- Go to Apple Trade In website.
- Scroll down a bit and select your device to see the list of available trade in values in USD. For example, if you have old iPhone 11 Pro Max then select iPhone and you will see the estimated trade in value as up to $280.
- Similarly, select Mac and find the value of your old Mac or iMac from the list. Unlike iPhone, you will not see the exact list of models for Mac.
You can even trade in your old Android phone and find the estimated resale value by selecting “Android” option. However, Samsung Galaxy and Google Pixel are the only two models available in the list.
Getting Apple Gift Card for Trade In Value
If your device is not in the list or if you want to find estimated value of particular Mac model, then scroll down further on the page. You will find an option for trade in your device for eligible Apple gift card. Though you can’t trade in for a new device with this option, you can get an Apple gift card and use it for the purchase. Make sure to find the serial number of your device beforehand and you will need to go through series of questions before getting the estimated gift card value.
- Let’s check a Mac model to find its estimated value. So, click on “Computer” and select “Apple” for “First, who made it?” question.
- On the next screen, enter the serial number of your Mac and click “Verify” button.
- You will see the device specifications in next screen, confirm the details are correct and click “Yes”.
- You will see slew of further questions to confirm the device is not damaged and all components like camera, ports, keys, trackpad are in working condition. After confirming to all the questions, you will get the gift card value.
- Click the “Trade it in for a gift card” button to fill out your personal details and finish the trade in.
The estimated trade in value for iMac is $530 and the gift card value is $500 which are more or less matching. However, the device is a brand new one purchased less than two weeks before for $1699. So, Apple is not even giving one-third of the purchased value. If your device is few years older, then you will hardly get less than $100 as an estimated value.
There are also third-party services to check the trade in value for Apple devices. However, using official Apple site is reliable if your device is in a good condition without any damage. You will be surprised to see how low the trade in value Apple gives for your used device. So, try to take a good care of your costly products and make sure you can use it for long-term to get the benefit for the cost.