If you are using Mac, all the downloaded files will be automatically going to “Downloads” folder. You can easily view the folder in Finder app and browse through the files. This is the same way it works in Windows PC and you can browse the files using File Explorer app. However, it may be confusing to find downloaded files and apps in iPhone. If you are lost, then here is how to find your downloaded pictures, music, files and apps.
Downloading Files and Apps in iPhone
The confusion comes not only in finding the location of files, but also with the approach Apple follows. When you download files from Safari or from other apps, iPhone will save the files to different apps depending upon the filetype.
- Media files like pictures and videos will be downloaded or saved to Photos app.
- You can find the music under Music app.
- All other files like PDF will go to “Downloads” folder in Files app.
- Downloaded apps will be available on home screen or in App Library.
1. Finding Photos and Videos
Let us say, you save a picture from WhatsApp app in iPhone. You can do this by tapping on the share icon showing on bottom left corner and then select “Save” option. WhatsApp will show neither the pop-up for selecting the location to save the picture nor the success notification. This can easily confuse you as you do not know where the saved picture is located on your iPhone.
In such cases, iPhone will automatically save the downloaded picture in your Photos library. Open Photos app and there you can find the saved picture from WhatsApp. Similarly, you can find all your screenshots and imported photos from computers under Photos app. Go to “Album” section and scroll down to select “Screenshots” or “Imported” option to filter relevant pictures.
2. Finding Music Files
If you have downloaded any audio or music files, iPhone will save them in your Music app. For example, music files added from your computer or bought from the iTunes stores will be available in Music app.
- First, go to the home screen and swipe down from the center.
- You will see the search box on the top and enter “music”. This will filter Music app and open it.
- Go to “Library” option from the bottom navigation menu to find your downloaded music files.
- If you do not see the file, tap on “Edit” link showing on top right corner of the screen. This will show all categories in Music app.
- Check and select “Downloaded” category. You can also move the “Downloaded” category to top by holding the three horizontal lines icons.
- Tap on “Done” to view the downloaded music files showing top in library section.
3. Finding Downloaded Files – PDF and Documents
If you have a downloaded PDF or document file, then you can find them in your Files app. For example, you can download a ZIP file received in an email attachment by pressing and holding on the file and then selecting “Save to Files” option. You need to select the location for saving the file in your iPhone or in the iCloud drive.
Follow the below instructions to find the saved files:
- Swipe from the center of the iPhone to open spotlight search box.
- Type “files” to filter Files app and open it.
- You can find the downloaded files here depending upon the saved locations.
- Check the “Favorites” section shows “Downloads” folder.
- Use the search box to search with the file name.
- Tap on “Browse” and navigate through “On My iPhone” or “iCloud Drive” sections to find your downloaded item.
If the files downloaded automatically, you could find them in “Downloads” folder either under “iCloud Drive” or under “On My iPhone” section.
4. Finding Downloaded Apps
When you install an app from App Store, iPhone will automatically add the new app in your home screen. If you do not have space in the first home screen, the app will show in the next home screen where there is a space. Otherwise, iPhone will create a new home screen and show the downloaded app. You can also find all the installed apps in your App Library which can be opened by swiping right from the last home screen.
If you are trying to find an app that you have downloaded on other device or deleted recently, then follow the below instructions.
- Open App Store and tap on your Apple ID profile icon showing on the top right corner.
- On the next screen, select “Purchased” option.
- If you are using family purchase or share from other accounts, make sure to select the correct account. Otherwise, select “My Purchases” option.
- Here you can find all the apps downloaded from App Store with the selected Apple account under “All” tab. The “Not on this iPhone” tab will show the apps you have deleted from your iPhone. Tap on the cloud icon to download the app to your iPhone again.