Screen Distance is a new feature Apple introduced with iOS 17 on iPhones. This will warn you when you keep the phone too close to your eyes for prolonged time. Perhaps you may be playing a game or you kid is watching videos keeping the iPhone too close to the face. Since this will affect the vision over period, iPhone will warn you to move the screen away. All what you need is to enable Screen Distance feature in settings for this automatic detection and protection.
Enable Safe Distance Feature in iPhone
First, make sure you have the iOS 17 or later version installed on your iPhone. Safe Distance feature is only available on iPhone models that supports iOS 17 or later versions with Face ID.
- Tap on “Settings” app and navigate to “Screen Time” option.
- You may be prompted to enable App & Website Activity if you are first time accessing the settings after updating iOS.
- Otherwise, you will see a list of options and tap on “Screen Distance” option.
- You will see a welcome screen showing what Screen Distance feature will do and tap on “Continue” button.
- On the next screen, you can find how Screen Distance works in iPhone and tap on “Turn On Screen Distance” button.
- Finally, turn on “Screen Distance” option in the next screen.
You will see welcome and how it works screens only when accessing the settings page for the first time. Next time onwards these two screens will not appear and you can directly land on “Screen Distance” toggle page.
How Screen Distance Feature Works in iPhone?
When enabled, your iPhone will measure the distance between the front camera and your face. Being said that, Screen Distance will work only with iPhone models having Face ID camera. When the distance is less than 12 inches for longer duration, iPhone will lock the screen with a screen shield like below.
You need to move the phone away from the face to a safe distance and then iPhone will show a “Continue” button. Otherwise, you will not be able to use the phone by keeping it closer to your eyes. Tap on “Continue” button to remove the screen shield and continue with your work.
Screen Distance works within your iPhone as there will be information sent to Apple. There will also be no picture or video grabbed using front camera for this feature to work.