In this mobile world, you really don’t need a browser to check internet. Apps are convenient and easy way to get up to date information what you need. However, you need a browser to visit websites that don’t offer apps. Safari is the default browser in iOS. Generally, Safari icon is available on the dock to launch it quickly on all the screens.
Why You Want to Disable Safari?
The danger with the browser is a distraction. When you can’t control your browsing behavior then it’s a time to remove Safari in iPhone.
Also you may want to remove the browser when sharing the iPhone with your kids. This will help to keep your browsing history private.
How to Disable Safari in iPhone?
Apple introduced Screen Time settings in iOS 12 to apply lots of content restriction. It allows you to monitor the phone and control the apps usage. Follow the instructions for removing or disabling Safari browser in your iPhone.
- You can see “Safari” app is available on the dock in the below screenshot. Tap on the “Settings” icon and go to “Screen Time” option.
- If you never used Screen Time before, tap on “Turn On Screen Time” to enable it.
- Follow the wizard to setup the options. You can setup Screen Time for your own or your kid’s phone.
- After turned on screen time, tap on “Content & Privacy Restrictions”. If you have already setup the restrictions then enter you screen time passcode.
- If you have not enabled the restrictions before, first enable the restrictions by tapping on “Content & Privacy Restrictions” switch.
- Tap on the “Allowed Apps” option.
- You will see all default Apple apps with an option to enable or disable each app.
- Look for “Safari” and disable the switch.
- Now go back and check the phone’s dock. You will not find Safari any more.
Related: How to block websites in iPhone?
Enabling Safari Back
The advantage of Screen Time is that you can simply enable the browser back. Follow the above instructions and enable Safari to show the app again. This essentially means Safari will be available on the iPhone. Only it will be shown or hidden depending upon your Screen Time settings.
Also, hiding the browser will not delete your browsing history. You can enable the browser and quickly access previously opened websites.
Disabling Other Apple Apps
Similar to Safari, you can enable or disable any of the default iOS app listed in “Allowed Apps” section. Currently you can enable or disable Mail, Safari, FaceTime, Camera, Siri & Dictation, Wallet, AirDrop, CarPlay, iTunes Store, Books, Podcasts and News apps.
Enabling Passcode for Screen Time
If you share the iPhone with your kid or others, then it is an easy task for them to change the Screen Time settings. They can easily bring the Safari or other apps and continue accessing. You can prevent this by setting a passcode for your Screen Time settings.
- When you are in “Settings > Screen Time” section, tap on “Use Screen Time Passcode” option.
- Type your four-digit passcode and confirm by repeating it again.
Now, no one can change the Screen Time settings without your passcode.
What Happens When Tap on Links?
Many apps, especially your Mail app will have hyperlinks to websites. Generally when tapping on the link, iPhone will open it in Safari. What will happen when you have disabled Safari?
- Nothing will happen. Yes, nothing will happen when you tap on hyperlinks. You can’t open any webpages when Safari is disabled.
- Even you have other browser apps like Chrome or Firefox, you can’t open the links. The only way is to copy the link and paste in Chrome or Firefox app to open the page.
- You can’t change the default browser in iOS like Mac or Windows.
- However, you can long press on the links to see additional options like open, copy, share and add to reading list.
- You will be able to add the links to your reading list even when Safari is disabled. After adding to reading list you can enable Safari later and find the links in the reading list.
Disabling Safari App in Mac
Unfortunately, Apple does not offer any option to remove Safari browser on the Mac. Safari is an inbuilt component of the operating system and you can’t remove it easily. This is a tricky way to force you using Safari browser. Even you install other browsers like Chrome or Firefox, you still need to keep Safari.