Security is important when using computers, especially sharing a single device with multiple people. However, if you use the laptop singlehandedly, every time using a login password is redundant. Sometimes, you may also share the device with your kids for online classes and worry your kid may lock the system by entering wrong passwords multiple times. If you want the Windows PC or laptop to automatically login without password, here is how you can do it.
Note: Here we will explain how to remove login password which will ultimately remove the wakeup password prompt for using computer after sleep. However, you can also still keep the login password and only disable the wakeup password as explained in this article.
Windows Login Options
Depending upon the setup, you can login to Windows computer using multiple options. Though entering alphanumeric password is the most common way, you can also use PIN for login. Using passwordless features like Windows Hello facial recognition or biometric fingerprint login are the best options to avoid remembering the password. However, your device needs to support these options and you still need to see the additional lock screen every time when waking the computer display from sleep.
The solution is to disable or remove the login password so that you can completely avoid seeing the password screen.
- If you are using Microsoft account for login, it is not possible to remove the password as it is same as your email and other Microsoft services password. However, what you can do is to disable the password prompt for the user account on your device.
- For local administrator account, it is easy to remove the password and login without hassle.
We will explain all possible options available to automatically login to Windows PC without using password.
1. Disable Password Login from User Accounts
This method works for both local account as well as for Microsoft account.
- Press “Win + R” to open Run prompt.
netplwizand press OK button.
- This will open “User Accounts” dialog box showing all users available in your computer.
- Select your username and uncheck the option that says, “Users must enter a username and password to use this computer”.
- Click “Apply” button and you will see another dialog box for “Automatically sign in”.
- Make sure your username is correct and leave the “Password” and “Confirm Password” text boxes empty.
- Then press “OK” buttons to close the dialog box.
- Now restart your computer to check the password prompt is not showing any more.
As you can see in the above screenshot, there are two accounts – one is using Microsoft account and other is a local admin. You can disable login password for both login types using this method. However, the passwords will be simply disabled and will not be deleted. You can enable the check box again to use the password login whenever you need.
2. Create New Local Admin Account without Password
If you are interested in using local admin account instead of Microsoft account, you can remove the password login when creating the account.
- Press “Win + I” keys to open Windows Settings app.
- Go to “Accounts” tab and click on “Your Info” section.
- Under “Account settings” section, click on “Sign in with a local account instead” link.
- You will see a prompt asking to confirm switching to local account, click “Next” button to proceed further.
- On the next screen, enter your current password and click “OK” button.
- Enter a new username and leave the “New password” and “Confirm password” boxes as blank.
- Click “Next” and then “Sign out and finish” button to finish the process.
3. Remove Password of Existing Local Account
If you are already using local admin account then follow the below process to remove the password.
- Press “Win + I” to open Windows Settings app and go to “Accounts” section.
- Click on “Sign-in options” and select “Password” option under “Ways to sign in” section.
- Click “Change” button and login using your current password to proceed further.
- Enter your current account password and click “Next” button.
- Now leave the “New password” and “Confirm password” text boxes as blank and click “Next” button.
- Click “Finish” button to complete the process.
4. Try Remove Password from Command Prompt
You can also try to remove the local account password from Command Prompt.
- Press “Win + R” keys to open Run prompt.
- Enter cmd and open Command Prompt.
- If you do not know the username, type net user command and press enter. This will show all current users available in the system.
- When you find your username, type net user your-username * and press enter.
- You will see a notification “Type a password for the user:” and press enter to leave a blank password.
- Again, you will be prompted to “Retype the password to confirm:” and press enter the make it blank.
Now that you have removed the login password for the user account. Restart your computer and check your login password is removed. If you want to enable the password again, follow the same steps and provide/confirm the password when prompted.
5. Change Registry to Remove Password
You can also try to remove the Windows login password using Registry Editor.
- Open Registry Editor by searching with Windows Search.
- When you are in Registry Editor app, type the following address and press enter.
- Find the key with the name as DefaultUserName. If you do not find, right click and select “New > String Value” and create a new entry with the name as DefaultUserName.
- Double click the newly created entry and provide the “Value data” as your user account. you can provide either the email address of your Microsoft account or the username of your local admin account.
- Similarly, find or create another string with the name as “DefaultPassword” and provide the “Value Data” your account password.
- Finally, find or create a string named “AutoAdminLogon”. Double click on it and provide the “Value Data” as 1 and press “OK” button. The value 0 indicates the login with password and 1 indicates automatic login without password.
- Close Registry Editor and restart your computer to check whether the password prompt is removed now.
As mentioned, make sure you do the above stuffs only when using the computer as a single user. This helps to disable password and enable automatic login into Windows PC without prompting password. You can anytime enable the password login back and set new password for your account.