All your website content like databases and images are stored in the hosting server. Many people also use the same hosting company to purchase domain, email and other services. Therefore, in addition to protecting your website administrator login it is essential to protect your hosting account with utmost care. SiteGround is one of the most popular and recommended hosting companies by official WordPress community. With Google Cloud platform they offer state of the art security protection for your websites. In this article, we explain how to enable 2-step verification for logging into your SiteGround hosting account.
Learn WordPress: Check out 400+ free WordPress tutorials.
What is 2-Step Verification Process?
Most hosting companies offer a username and password to login to your account. If you forget the password, you can reset using the email or mobile number used for the registration process. This is no more sufficient as anyone cracks your password can login and download your website content. The solution is to offer additional layer of protection called two factor authentication.
When enabled, after logging in with your password, you need to enter an additional authorization code to access the account.
How 2-Step Verification Works in SiteGround?
Unlike many other two factor authentication systems, SiteGround does not use your mobile number to send verification code. You have to follow the below process:
- Login to your SiteGround account and generate a secrete key.
- Add your SiteGround secret key in any popular authenticator app like Google Authenticator or Microsoft Authenticator.
- After logging into your account with username/password, you need to type automatically generated authentication code from your Authenticator app.
- Verify your phone number as a backup to disable 2-step verification at any point later.
This essentially means you need to have an additional authenticator app to generate the verification code and login to your account. With this protection, you can ensure no other person can hack your account and steal hosting content.
How to Setup 2-Step Verification in SiteGround Hosting?
Follow the below process to setup two factor authentication.
Step #1 – Access Two Factor Authentication Section
Login to your SiteGround hosting account using your regular username and password. If you are on Site Tools account, the “Home” tab will show you some suggestions and tips. Here you can find the link to “Enable 2-Step Verification”.
If you do not find any suggestions, click on your profile icon on the right corner and select “Login & Profile” option.
You will find “2-Step Verification” option is in inactive state under “Security” heading.
Step #2 – Setup 2-Step Verification
Click on the “Enable” button to open the wizard that shows you the step by step process involved. The first step is to download any Authenticator app on your mobile device. SiteGround recommend, Google, Microsoft or Duo Mobile apps. However, you can use any mobile or desktop apps that generates the verification code automatically.
Go to Google Play / iOS / Windows store and download your preferred app. You may need to use Google / Microsoft account to verify the app before using. In this article, we will explain the process with Microsoft Authenticator app for iOS. You can follow similar process with any other app.
Step #3 – Add SiteGround in Authenticator App
After ready with your authenticator app, click on the “Next” button.
- Open Authenticator app and click on the + button.
- Choose “Other (Google, Facebook, etc.)” option.
- Scan the QR code from your SiteGround account.
- Alternatively, tap on “Or enter code manually” option and type the account name as “SiteGround” and the secret key.
- The app will add SiteGround and you should the see verification code. The code will be valid for 30 seconds and will be regenerated again.
Step #4 – Verify with Security Code
Go back to SiteGround 2-step verification wizard and click on “Next” button. Enter the security code you see on your Authenticator app and click “Next” button.
Step #5 – Verify Mobile Number
The final step is to verify your mobile phone number.
- Enter your mobile number with country code prefix like +1 for USA.
- Click on “Send Code” button.
- Type the SMS verification code received on your mobile.
- Click “Finish” button.
You will get a success message like below indicating you have completed the process.
Step #6 – Test Login with 2-Step Verification
After completing the process, logout of your SiteGround account and again try to login with your username and password.
You will be prompted to enter the verification code from the Authenticator app. Check the app and type the six digit security code to sign into your hosting account.
Disable 2-Step Verification Login
Sometimes you may feel using two verifications is a lengthy process, especially if you are the only person using the computer to login to hosting account. After setup, you can disable the two factor authentication process any time later.
- If you know still using the app, then login to your hosting account. You should see the “2-Step Verification” section under your profile is now showing as active with additional options. You can add additional devices, change phone number or disable the option completely.
- If you do not have the Authenticator app, then click on the “Can’t get your code?” link in 2-step verification login screen. Use your verified mobile number to get a verification code to login to account. This will disable two factor authentication and you can login with your username and password.
Setting up 2-step verification is a lengthy process with an addition mobile app. In addition, you also need a backup mobile number for verification. However, it will protect your account from any unauthorized access and secure the data in your hosting account.