There are hundreds of image editing apps available for Windows and Mac. However, most of these apps come with restrictions and you have to install and use them separately outside the browser. Now that you do not need any third-party image editing apps or extensions as Microsoft Edge browser has an in-built image editor. You can edit any images on the site you are reading and save with markups right from Edge.
Image Editing in Edge
Edge already has a Web Capture feature to take screenshots and add annotation. The new image editing feature does not need you to take screenshots. All what you need is to hover or right-click and edit the image. The editor has basic features to crop, apply filters and annotate.
- Go to edge://settings/help page in Edge and get the latest version installed.
- At this point, the function looks different in Windows and Mac Edge versions. On Mac, you have an option to edge hover menu and Windows version works with right-click context menu.
Edit Image in Edge with Right-Click
- When you read a webpage, simply right-click on any image.
- Select “Edit image” option from the context menu.
This is reliable option as it is available in both Windows and Mac.
Enabling and Using Hover Menu in Edge
At this point, “Hover menu” option is only seen in Mac version and you can expect this to be included in later Windows version.
- Go to edge://settings/appearance page and scroll down to “Context menus” heading.
- Click “Hover menu” option to open its settings.
- On the next page, enable “Show hover menu on image hover” option.
- Once enabled, hover the mouse over any image and you will see “Visual Search” and “Settings” icons on top right corner of the image.
- Click on “Settings” icon and select “Edit image” option.
If the hover menu is disturbing, you can select “Hide for this site” or “Hide always” option. Anytime, you can go to Edge settings and enable the option again.
Edge Image Editor
Whether you use hover menu or right-click context menu, Edge will open the selected image with in-built editor. Edge image editor has the following options:
Under this tab, you can grab any edge of the image and crop to resize as you need. You do have lot of options shown below the image for rotating.
- Rotate 90 degree clockwise or counter-clockwise.
- Flip the image horizontally and vertically.
- Use the angle slider to rotate the image to any specific angle.
- Click “Free” button and change the aspect ratio of the image.
Here you can adjust the light and color settings of the image. Move the sliders below “Light” section to change the brightness, contrast, exposure, highlights, shadows and vignette. The “Color” section allows you to change the saturation, warmth and tint.
Here you can choose one of the available filters to change the appearance of the image. You can more than 15 filters like punch, golden, calm, etc. to select from.
Go to “Markup” tab and select pen or highlighter from left side tray. Again, click on the pen or highlighter and choose the color and thickness. Now, you can annotate on the image with the selected color to mark or write. You also have options to remove the markup one by one using “Remove ink strokes” option from tray or use “Clear all ink strokes” to delete all markups with single click.
Anytime, you can undo, redo or reset the image to original state. If the image is too small, use the zoom icons to enlarge and add markups. Once you are done with editing, click the “Save” button and download the edited image on your computer. Edge will download the modified image in your “Downloads” folder and save the image in PNG format.
You can also copy the image to clipboard and paste it anywhere without saving.
Unlike old Edge browser, the latest Chromium based Edge has plenty of new features like image editor, web capture, sidebar, Bing AI Chat, etc. Image editor is cool option to capture, edit and annotate any image from web and save it for your reference. However, make sure to respect the copyright and ownership of the images. Generally, images on the websites are copyrighted and avoid using then for your organizational or commercial purposes. If you are in doubt, get in touch with website owner and get the appropriate permissions.