Google Maps iPhone app allows you to download an area of the map to offline. You can use the download map to find directions without internet connection. This is useful when you plan a trip to unknown remote location where you think the internet connection may not be available or slow. Recently Apple also introduced similar feature to Apple Maps in iOS 17. Now, you can download selected area of Apple Maps to offline. Whether you use Google or Apple Maps, here is how to download maps for offline use in iPhone.
Download Google Maps Offline
There are two ways to download an area from Google Maps app. However, remember the following when using offline maps:
- Make sure you are not using incognito mode, otherwise you will be prompted to turn off that.
- Offline maps will show only driving directions within the downloaded area. You can’t check walking or cycling direction.
- All downloaded maps without logging in to your Google account will be deleted when you login to the app. Therefore, make sure to login with your account when using Google Maps to retain the downloaded maps. At any case, all downloaded maps will be deleted after one year if you do not update them.
- You will not see the “Download Offline map” menu item if the feature is not available for the area you have selected.
Method 1 – From More Options
- Open Google Maps app in your iPhone.
- If you are in incognito mode, tap on the incognito icon and turn the option off.
- Search the location and select the place that you want to view.
- Tap on the three dots icon showing next to share icon. This will show few options as a flyout menu and tap on “Download offline map” option.
- You will see a selection overlay and move background the map to precise location that you want to download.
- The app also will show you the size of download and make sure you have sufficient space on your iPhone.
- If everything is ok, tap on “Download” button to start the download.
- It may take few seconds and you can see the download progress.
- After downloading, you will see a message showing the map is downloaded and you can use the app like normal.
Methods 2 – Download Custom Map Area
Though this method is not much difference with previous method, you can customize the area before downloading.
- Make sure to turn off incognito mode, search and find the area that you want to download.
- Tap on the profile icon showing in the search box and select “Offline maps” option.
- Tap on the gear icon showing on top right corner and auto-download and auto-update options. You can choose to use only Wi-Fi or Cellular Data for downloading and setup home/work locations so that they can be easily used on the downloaded map.
- After choosing your options, tap on the back arrow showing on top left corner and then tap on “”Select Your Own Map” option.
- Adjust the map’s background on the overlay and check the size of the download.
- Finally, tap on “Download” link to get the selected area offline.
Using Offline Map in Google Maps iPhone
Now that you have the downloaded maps area, here is how you can use in offline.
- Swipe down from top right corner of the iPhone screen to open Control Center.
- Tap on the airplane icon and enable airplane mode to disable Wi-Fi and other networks.
- Go back to Google Maps app and tap on the profile icon showing in the search box and select “Offline maps” option.
- You will see all downloaded maps and select the one you want to use offline.
- The app will show the map preview and tap on it.
- It will open the area on your map and search the direction you want to use within the downloaded area.
- You can see the direction shows “Offline – No traffic data”.
Update or Delete Offline Maps
As mentioned, all downloaded maps will be deleted if you did not update them in one year. You may also want to delete the maps after finishing your planned trip to that location.
- Tap on your profile picture showing in the search box.
- Select “Offline maps” menu to view all downloaded map areas.
- Tap on the three dots icon and select “Update” or “Delete” option.
- Alternatively, tap on the map’s name and select “Delete” or “Update” button on the next screen.
Download Offline Map in Apple Maps App
Follow the below steps to download offline map in Apple Maps app.
- When you are in Maps app, search and find the location.
- Tap on your profile icon showing next to the search box.
- Select “Offline Maps” option from the menu that appears.
- An overlay will appear and adjust the map area that you want to download.
- Check the size and download the map for offline use.