Microsoft Office is a must have package for any computer user regardless of whether you use Mac or Windows. The subscription-based Microsoft 365 package contains apps bundle that include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. These apps will be updated automatically to make sure you are using the latest features. If you do not want the apps to automatically update, here is how you can disable automatic updates of Microsoft Office apps in Windows and Mac. Also, learn about how to disable automatic update of Microsoft Edge and Windows 11.
Why You Should Disable Automatic Updates?
Though the intention of automatic update is good, it will create the following problems:
- Latest update may have bug affecting the way you used to work in the app.
- Microsoft may remove or modify an existing functionality which you rely on for daily work.
- Updates will be in huge size occupying network bandwidth when you want to use the system for other purposes.
The idea is to stop the automatic update so that you can check the release information and update whenever you have time.
1. Disable Automatic Office Update in Windows
Remember that disabling update is at Office package level which means all apps in the bundle will stop receiving updates.
1.1. Disable from One of the Office Apps
You can follow the below steps in any of the Office apps and here I will show with Word.
- Open Word app and go to “Account” menu when you are in the backstage view.
- Alternatively, open a new document and then go to “File > Account” menu. On the right side, check “Microsoft 365 and Office Updates” heading and you should see the message saying, “Updates are automatically downloaded and installed”.
- Click on the “Update Options” button and select “Disable Updates” option.
- You may see User Account Control pop-up and click on “Yes” to confirm the access.
- It will take few seconds and you will see the message changes to “This product will not be updated”.
- The section will show in light yellow color to visually understand the automatic update is disabled for Office apps.
You can anytime click on the “Update Options” button and select “Enable updates” to turn on automatic updates again.
1.2. Disable Office Updates from Settings App
You can get Office apps updates along with Windows Update channel. This will work independently and the apps will get updated when you update Windows to the latest version. Follow the below steps to disable Office apps getting updated through Windows update:
- Right-click on the Start menu icon and select “Settings” from the power menu that appears.
- Go to “Windows Updates” section from the left sidebar and click on “Advanced Options”.
- Turn off “Receive updates for other Microsoft products” option.
2. Turn Off Automatic Office Updates in Mac
You have two options to use Office apps in Mac. One is to install the app from App Store and another is to install it from Microsoft website. In both cases, it is not possible to disable automatic update from one of the Office apps like Windows version. It works differently on Mac. Check out how to change Microsoft 365 subscription from App Store to Microsoft in Mac.
2.1. Disable Office Updates from App Store
Follow the below steps if you are using the apps downloaded from Mac App Store. Remember, this will stop automatic updates of all Mac apps and it is not possible to only disable Office apps updates.
- Click the Apple icon showing on top left corner of the screen and select “System Settings…” menu.
- Go to “General” section and click “Software Update” option.
- On the next screen, click the information icon showing against “Automatic Updates” option.
- Turn off “Install application updates from the App Store” option on the pop-up that appears. Close “Done” button to close the pop-up.
2.2. Disable Updates from Microsoft AutoUpdate Tool
When you install Office apps on Mac from your Microsoft account, the package will install an AutoUpdate tool in Mac. This AutoUpdate will run in background and show available updates for all Microsoft apps installed on your Mac. In that tool, you have an option to disable automatic updates for apps and update them manually.
- Open Word, go to “Help” menu and click “Check for Updates” option. This will open Microsoft AutoUpdate tool.
- Simply uncheck “Automatically keep Microsoft Apps up to date” option showing at the bottom. You can click on the small arrow showing next to “Check for Updates” button to view the details for each app and update them manually when needed.
When you disable automatic app updates, this AutoUpdate tool will frequently pop-up and annoy you to update the apps. To avoid frustration, go to “Apple menu > System Settings… > General > Login Items” section. Disable “Microsoft AutoUpdate” and “Microsoft Corporation” options under “Allow in the background” section. This will stop the tool from running in background and checking for updates.