Many of us send and receive hundreds of emails everyday using Outlook app. It will be an impossible task to remember each email address and type them manually in the receiver’s address field. To make things easier, Outlook will automatically suggest email addresses when you start typing in the To, Cc and Bcc fields. This Auto-Complete feature can be annoying when you do not need the suggestions. If you are going crazy with Auto-Complete email address in Outlook, here is how you can remove and get rid of them.
Auto-Complete Emails in Outlook
When you click on the To, Cc or Bcc field, Outlook will automatically show the previously used list emails as a suggestion.
When you start typing, Outlook will fetch the addresses from your email list and restrict the dropdown list which contains the typed letters. You can simply click an address from the list to fill in the address field and start writing/sending the email.
This is called Auto-Complete in Outlook which helps to avoid remembering all the email addresses.
Why Auto-Complete Email May Annoy You?
Though the function is useful, there are few reasons you may get annoyed.
- You might have changed the company and wanted to get rid of the old suggestions.
- This will be a problem when mixed suggestions are coming multiple email accounts. You probably ending up in sending personal email to an office colleague by wrongly selecting the similar email address from the Auto-Complete list.
- Sometimes it is easier to type the address like firstname.lastname@example.org instead of selecting it from the long list.
- You do not like something popping up and slowing down the Outlook app.
How to Delete Auto-Complete Emails in Outlook?
Fortunately, there are multiple solutions to handle Auto-Complete email list in Outlook. You can either delete single or multiple emails from the list, otherwise completely get rid of the Auto-Complete feature.
1. Delete Emails from Auto-Complete
If one or two emails appear in the suggestion list, then it is a good idea to only remove them and continue to use Auto-Complete feature in Outlook.
- When the email suggestions appear in the list, hover over the item you want to delete.
- You can see a cross mark appears at the end of the item for deleting that email.
- Simply click on the delete icon to remove the email from the list.
- The removed email will not appear again in the Auto-Complete list henceforth.
2. Completely Empty Auto-Complete List
If the entire Auto-Complete is useless, then you can empty the list.
- When you are in Outlook app, go to “File > Options” section.
- It will open “Outlook Options” dialog and go to “Mail” section.
- Scroll down nearly to the bottom and find “Send messages” section.
- Click on the “Empty Auto-Complete List” to delete all automatically suggested items from the list.
- Click “OK” to close the dialog box.
After cleaning up the list, you will not find any suggestions at first. However, the list will start building again based on the new usage.
3. Disable Auto-Complete Feature in Outlook
Last option is to disable Auto-Complete feature in Outlook and completely get rid of the suggestions.
- Go to “File > Options” and open Outlook Options dialog box.
- Click on “Mail” option and go down to “Send messages” section.
- Disable “Use Auto-Complete List to suggest names when typing in the To, Cc and Bcc lines” checkbox.
- After that click “OK” button to close the dialog box.
- Now, start typing the email address and you will not see any automatic suggestions.