Hyperlinks are essential part of internet to connect websites together. When you want to copy a link in Chrome, you can right-click on the link and select “Copy link address” option. However, you can use this to keep only the latest link in the clipboard for pasting on other apps. Do you ever wonder how to copy multiple links or URLs in Chrome? In this article, we will explain how you can do that.
Examples of Copying Multiple Links in Chrome
Let us say, you visit a webpage that contains a list of URLs like below and you want to copy all of them and paste in your notes for a reference.
You can select multiple links and copy them as a block. However, only rich text editors like OneNote or Word support pasting the text with links. It will also show the titles as exactly you see on the webpage and not the hyperlink URLs. When you paste the links on plain text editors like Notepad, it will only show the text without any links.
At least you can manage the above situation, but it will be an impossible task to copy the list of hyperlinks you find in Google search results list.
There could be many examples like this to copy multiple URLs from the browser. In addition to copying the URLs, you might also want to bookmark or open set of URLs in new tabs/windows.
Using Windows Clipboard History
By default, Windows allows to keep multiple items in clipboard history.
- If you want to retain the hyperlink URL, copy the URLs one by one by right-clicking and selecting “Copy link address” option from the menu.
- After that, press “Win + V” shortcut keys to open the clipboard history panel which will also show all emoji and symbols.
- From this panel, you can click the copied item to insert the URL. Alternatively, select “Paste as text” option by clicking on the three horizontal dots icon showing against any of the copied item.
- For single link, clipboard will always paste the URL and not the title text.
- If you have copied multiple URLs as a block, Windows clipboard history will simply insert the titles. You can insert the titles with hyperlinks or insert as plain text without links. There will be no option to paste the URLs in this case.
This will be a lengthier way to copy multiple links, also this option is only available in Windows and not on Mac.
Using Linkclump Chrome Extension to Copy Multiple URLs
The best option to easily copy multiple links in Google Chrome is to use a third-party extension. There are different extensions available depending upon your purpose. Linkclump will be the suitable extension for the example cases we have explained above.
Installing Linkclump Extension
When you are in Google Chrome browser, click on the three vertical dots showing on top right corner. Select “More tools” and then “Extensions” option from the menu. Alternatively, simply go to “chrome://extensions/” URL in the address bar to view all installed extensions on your browser. Now, click on the three horizontal lines (Main menu icon) showing on top left corner. You will see additional menu items and select “Open Chrome Web Store” link from bottom left corner.
This will take you to Chrome Web Store and search for Linkclump. Find that extension and click on “Add to Chrome” button.
Confirm the pop-up by clicking on “Add extension” to install Linkclump extension on your browser.
How the Extension Works?
This is a multi-purpose extension that allows you to manage multiple hyperlinks in different ways. You can do one of the followings:
- Open all copied links in new tabs
- Use new windows to open all copied links
- Bookmark all the URLs
- Copy the links to clipboard
First, you need to press the z key on your keyboard. Then hold and select the text using mouse left button. When you release the mouse button, the extension will automatically collect all the hyperlinks in the selected content and trigger one of the actions you setup in the settings page.
Configuring Linkclump Settings
By default, the links in the selected content will be opened in new tabs. Therefore, it is necessary to configure it for copying multiple link URLs to clipboard before start using the extension.
- Click on the puzzle icon showing next to the address bar and then click the three vertical icons showing against Linkclump extension name.
- Select “Options” from the menu to open the extension’s settings page.
- You can click on “How does it work?” button to understand how the current setup is working with a sample page having multiple links. As we have explained above, the extension will try to open all the selected URLs in the text in new tabs.
- To change the settings, click “Edit” button showing under “Actions” section.
- The configuration pop-up has three major sections which are easy to configure. Under the “Activation” section, select the mouse button and keyboard key for triggering the action. You can also select the selection box color to visualize the borders when you select the text from webpage.
- Choose “Copied to clipboard” option under “Action” section.
- The “Advanced “Options” section will change based on the action you have selected. For the copied to clipboard choice, you have the following settings.
- Smart select – choose on or off to select only important links.
- Filter links – select “exclude links with words” option, if you want to exclude a link containing specific word. You can type the words separated with comma in the textbox below.
- Copy format – since hyperlinks have title and URL, you can decide the content to be copied to the clipboard after selection. The options include URLs with titles, URLs only, titles only, as link HTML, as link list HTML and as Markdown. You can select “URLs with titles” or “URLs only” option as a format.
- Block repeat links in selection – check this box to ignore repeated links in the selected text.
- Reverse order – change the order of links in the selection.
After choosing your options, click the “Save” button to apply the changes. Now, you are ready to use the Linkclump extension for copying multiple hyperlinks in Google Chrome.
Testing Linkclump to Copy Multiple URLs
With the above setup, let us copy a set of URL from Google search results page. The extension will highlight all the hyperlinks while you select the content and show the total number of links at the bottom of the selection.
Now, we have pasted the selection in OneNote app. As you can see the extension captured all the links from the selected text. It even includes, the internal page links shown in the search for the specific result.
It also works well when selecting a block of text from a webpage to extract all hyperlinks. In that case, you can use “URLs with titles” copy format to paste the copied hyperlinks in a structured format in your notes.
Though Windows clipboard history helps to retain multiple copied URLs in history, it is not efficient for daily usage. On other hand, there are free Chrome extension that do the job perfectly. Linkclump is one of the Chrome extensions allowing you to copy multiple URLs from webpages. You can extract hyperlinks from text, image and videos. For example, you can easily select multiple YouTube videos to grab the hyperlinks and paste anywhere you want with or without titles. Linkclump add-on is also available for Firefox and you can install the same Chrome extension in Microsoft Edge browser also. If you do not like Linkclump, the alternate option is to use “Link-Klipper – Extract all links” extension. This works in similar manner but adds an item in the right-click context menu for grabbing multiple links. You can also export the copied links into a CSV file if needed.