Many users find difficulty in changing the username of an account in Windows 10. This is because there are no significant way of changing the username of an account in the settings app. It only allows you to change the username for Microsoft account and that also by going through the internet browser. In this article let’s explain different ways to change Windows 10 account username.
3 Ways of Changing Account Username in Windows 10
You can login to Windows 10 using Microsoft account or with local account. Based on how you login, use one of the following method to change your username.
- Changing username of local account
- Using User Account Manager
- Changing username of Microsfot account
1. Change Username of Local Account from Control Panel
In case of chaning username of your local account, the process is right there by using Control Panel. Follow the steps given below:
- Open ‘Control Panel’ through ‘Start’ menu.
- Under the section of ‘User Accounts’, click on ‘Change account type’.
- Click on the account and then click on ‘Change the account name’ option.
- Type a new name in the given area and click on ‘Change Name’ button.
If you check the lock screen, the username will be changed successfully.
2. Change Username Using User Account Manager
Through user account manager in Windows 10, it’s quite easy to do so. Follow these steps:
- To open user account manager, press ‘Windows key + R’ to open run and type ‘netplwiz’ and hit ‘Enter’ key.
- In the ‘User Accounts’, select an account and click on ‘Properties’ button.
- Type a new username in the ‘User name’ input area given. Also, type a ‘Full name’ if you want otherwise, leave it.
- Click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’ button. Click on ‘OK’ button again.
3. Change Username of Microsoft Account
If you have signed in with Microsoft account then do the following procedure:
- In ‘Settings’ app, follow this path ‘Accounts > Your info’.
- Click on the link ‘Manage my Microsoft account’. It will redirect you to the browser.
- Under the profile picture, navigate through these options ‘More options > Edit profile > Edit name’.
- Start typing a new name and last name. Choose a completely different name from the previous one. Click on the ‘Save’ button.
After the completion, you may require a restart also to see changes. If the changes are not visible at once, then it may require some time. The only problem with this method is that Microsoft will change the name and the last name wherever this account has connected previously (Cloud services and email accounts).