Google is updating Chrome browser with many features to catch up the competition with Edge and Firefox. Side panel is one such useful option that allows you to quickly view bookmarks, history and reading list items. You can also enable reader mode and use Google Search from the side panel. By default, the panel appears on the right side just below its icon. Here is how you can change the position of side panel in Chrome to left position.
Change Chrome Side Panel to Left from Settings
First option is to use the default Chrome settings.
- Launch Chrome and click on the three vertical dots icon on top right corner saying, “Customize and control Google Chrome”.
- Select “Settings” from the menu list to open Chrome’s settings page.
- Navigate to “Appearance” section from the left sidebar menus.
- Check “Side panel” section on the right panel which will use “Show on right” option by default.
- Enable “Show on left” option and click on the Side panel icon showing right side of the address bar.
- Now, you will see the side panel is showing on the left side.
Change Chrome Side Panel Position from Experimental Flag
If you do not see the “Side panel” settings appear under “Appearance” section, then make sure to update Chrome to the latest version. Otherwise, you can manually force Chrome to show side panel settings so that you can change the location.
- Open Chrome and go to chrome://flags/ URL to view experimental flags section.
- Type “side-panel” in the search box and Chrome will automatically filter the results.
- Find the “Customize Chrome Side Panel” flag from the list.
- Click the “Default” dropdown showing against the flag and select “Enabled” option.
- Make sure you have saved all the work and click on “Relaunch” button. This will close and reopen Chrome with all open tabs intact.
- Now, click the three vertical dots icons and select “Settings” menu.
- Go to “Appearance” section and you will see the “Side panel” section is added.
- Select “Show on left” option and click the “Side panel” icon.
- You should see the side panel appears on the left side of the browser.
Note: You can use chrome://settings/appearance URL from the address bar to directly open “Appearance” settings. Anytime you can change back the side panel location to right side.