GoDaddy is the largest domain registrar and offers multiple services like website builder, email, etc.. Though it is easy to purchase a new domain for cheap price, the discount applies only for the first year. You will end up paying a huge price when you want to renew the domain purchase. The solution is to transfer your domain to other services and continue your new purchases from other registrars for longer time. If you are stuck with GoDaddy, here is how you can cancel auto renewal of GoDaddy domain purchases.
Price Difference with GoDaddy and Other Registrars
At this point of time, GoDaddy offers .com domain for $0.01. You can see the sales page on their as below with additional information. Also note the small * mark on the prices indicating there are terms you should understand before using that discount.
First, the discount is applicable only for new customers and for existing customers. The renewal price after first year completion will be $19.99. It still does not mention important domain privacy rate, which is $9.99 per year. Let us check out the price of .com domain with $.0.01 first year price with a domain privacy protection. It will cost you $39.98 with GoDaddy for two years.
Now, go to Namecheap and check a .com domain name price for 2 years with domain privacy protection. Though one year .com domain price will cost you $8.98, Namecheap offers free domain privacy for lifetime. Adding together, the total cart price for a .com domain is $28.32.
This is almost 30% less price than GoDaddy and you can save huge money when you purchase multiple domains and for longer duration.
Cancel Auto Renewal of GoDaddy Domain
If you regret purchasing with GoDaddy, you can cancel the auto renewal payment and next time look for registrars like Namecheap.
- Open GoDaddy site and login with your customer account. Remember, you should login to your product account and not the email account.
- When you are logged into your account, click on the name showing on top right corner. Select “Renewals & Billing” option from the menu.
- You will see the complete list of all domains purchased along with billing date (which is auto renewal date) and payment method used for purchases.
- Select the check box in front of single or multiple domains that you want to cancel the auto renewal. When you select a domain, the buttons on the top will get activated and click on the “Cancel Renewal” button.
- You will see a pop-up asking to confirm the cancellation of renewal. This appears because we have setup 2 step verification to do any changes in GoDaddy account. If you see this screen, click “Verify and Cancel Renewal” button.
- Sometimes you will have additional products linked to your domain like privacy protection. In such a case, you will see a message indicating that all linked products will also be cancelled when you cancel the auto renewal of your domain. Check the box for providing your consent and click on “Continue” button.
- As mentioned, we have protected the account with 2 step verification process. So, the next screen will ask to enter the code from authenticator app. Enter the code from your app and click on “Verify Code” button. You will not see this if you do not have any additional protection on your account. Similarly, if you have setup different protection than authenticator, then you should verify the cancellation using the method you setup on your account.
- After successful verification, the billing date column of the domain will now show as “Processing cancellation”. Click on the small help icon showing next to the status and you will see a message mentioning the status update will take time until then you will see the original auto renewal date in that column. So, do not worry if the page continues to show the old date when you refresh or visit after some time.
Once the cancellation process is successfully completed, GoDaddy will send you an email notification. After that you can go back to the billing page and confirm the billing date is showing as “Cancels…” for the auto renewal cancelled domain.
Note: If you have paid through PayPal, then you can cancel the auto renewal of billing from your PayPal account.