In our earlier article, we have explained how to setup proxy and different ways to bypass local sites in Windows 10. Similar to Windows, macOS also offers function to bypass the proxy settings. In this article, we will explain the steps to bypass local and internet websites from proxy servers in Mac.
Why You Need to Bypass Proxy?
In many scenarios, you need to use proxies to unblock the websites and access internet anonymously. Using premium VPN services like ExpressVPN is always an option however you need to spend money on that. When you use proxy server setup, Mac will route all network activities through that server bypassing your default network controlled by administrator or ISP. However, you may need to exclude or bypass the proxy for some sites to access through your default network.
- You want to access few blocked sites through proxy while intranet or local websites through default network.
- If you are a web developer, you should exclude the local hosted websites from proxy to avoid accessing them through internet.
- You may be interested to use the default network and access the data from the source server directly instead of getting cached data from proxy server.
How to Bypass Proxy Settings in macOS?
Whatsoever is the reason, you can easily bypass the proxy server setup in macOS by following the below instructions.
- Go to “Apple menu” and click on “System Preferences…” option.
- Click on the “Network” icon to go to Network preferences section.
- By default, Mac will freeze the settings to avoid accidental editing. Click on the padlock icon and Mac will prompt you to enter the administrator details.
- Enter administrator username and password to unlock the setting for editing.
- Ensure to choose your current active wireless network and click on the “Advanced” settings.
- You will see lots of tab on the next screen and go to “Proxies” tab.
- On the bottom section enable the check box saying “Exclude simple hostnames”. This will help to exclude the computers (hosts) on the same network.
- However, you should provide the details in the text box showing under “Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts and Domains”.
- You may see some domains already added depending upon the apps you use for your development work. In the above example, as you can see “*.local” domain is added by the local WordPress development app Local By Flywheel.
- Enter all the domain name details and click “OK” to save your changes.
Examples of Bypassing
Remember, in addition to local websites you can also add internet sites and IP addresses to bypass from proxy server. Below are some of the examples of the domains you can add with explanation.
|Entire domain including all subdomains