Microsoft Edge has many beautiful features compared to Chrome and Firefox browsers. One such feature is the tab hover card to show the image preview of the tab content when you hover the mouse over inactive tabs. This will help to quickly check the webpage when you have multiple tabs opened. Below is how the tab hover will look on Edge browser.
Default Tab Hover Behavior in Chrome
Google Chrome is a rigid browser does not offer many customization options. It has no functionality on the stable version for tab hover card. By default, it will show the title of the webpage on tab when you hover the mouse over it.
How to Add Tab Hover Card in Google Chrome?
However, you can use the experimental flag to enable this feature. Chrome has two flags to enable hover card with and without preview image.
Hover Card Without Preview Image
- Launch Google Chrome browser and go to “chrome://flags” URL.
- You will see a warning that experimental features may impact the normal working behavior of your browser.
- Search for “hover card” to filter the flag with the name as “Tab Hover Cards”.
- Choose “Enabled” option and click on “Relaunch Now” button to re-open the browser.
- Now that you have enabled tab hover card in Chrome. Open few tabs in the browser and hover your mouse over one of the tabs.
- Chrome will show the title and website name in an elegant hover card.
Hover Card With Preview Image
The above hover card is good without a preview image of the webpage on that tab. You need to enable another flag to show the image in hover card.
- When you are in “chrome://flags” page, search for “hover card”.
- Enable the flag “Tab Hover Card Images” and relaunch the browser.
- Remember, you first need to enable the “Tab Hover Cards” flag for this preview flag to work.
- After enabling both flags, open few tabs on the browser and hover your mouse over the inactive tabs.
- Chrome will show the hover card with preview image of that webpage content.
Note that when you hover the active tab, you will only see the card with image, as the content is already visible on the browser.
Viewing Tabs on Chrome Android and iOS Apps
Chrome Android and iOS apps have different features to suit the mobile layouts. When you have opened multiple webpages, the app will show a badge with number of opened tabs.
Tap on the badge to view thumbnails of all open tabs in a card style.
However, this is completely different than viewing multiple tabs in floating style in Safari browser.
Extensions for Tab Management
Chrome comes with handful of useful extensions for tab management. However, we don’t find any extension offers tab hover card feature. You can try other extensions like “Quick Tabs” or “Tabbie : easy tab viewer” for managing multiple open tabs effectively.