Using default AirPrint in iPhone does not need any third-party apps. If default print option is not working for you, then there are lot of third-party apps available in App Store to manage printing from your iPhone. However, I recommend using the official app from your printer’s manufacturer so that it works seamlessly. Here I will explain adding HP Ink Tank Wireless 410 series printer to iPhone in iOS 16. You can follow the same steps for adding any other HP printer model in iPhone.
Before Adding HP Printer in iPhone
Do the followings before trying to setup your HP printer.
- Go to App Store and install the free HP Smart app.
- Turn on the printer and check the printer shows the network icon in the display.
- Connect your iPhone and HP printer in the same network.
- Keep your Wi-Fi password handy to connect the printer to your network when prompted.
- Turn on Bluetooth and Location Services (under Privacy & Security section) in iPhone settings.
Adding HP Printer in HP Smart App
Open HP Smart app and it will show you to sign in with your HP account. Tap on “Skip for now” to proceed further without registering for an account.
- On the next screen, tap “Add Your First Printer” option showing on top. Alternatively, tap the printer icon showing on top right corner of the app screen.
- Tap on the “Get Started” button showing below the “Set up a new printer” section. In case if you need to move on to other tasks in-between the setup, you can anytime come back to this screen and select “Complete Now” button to continue the setup instead of starting from the beginning.
- Select Wi-Fi or Ethernet option for how you want to connect the printer. I select Wi-Fi as HP Ink Tank is a wireless printer.
- You will see the instructions to prepare printer and iPhone as I mentioned above and tap “Continue” to proceed further.
- You will be prompted to provide permission for the app to use Bluetooth and confirm by tapping “OK” option.
Printer Not in Default List
- The app will start search for your printer in the network. If it does not find, tap on “My printer’s not listed” link or tap “Printer Not Listed” button if that is shown.
- You need to connect to HP-Setup-… printer network from your WLAN settings and you will see the instructions for this.
- Open Settings app and tap on “WLAN” option. Select “HP-Setup-46-Ink Tank Wireless” option from “Other Networks” section. You may see different network name depending upon the printer series you use.
- Now, go back to HP Smart app and you will see the app shows list of detected wireless networks.
- Select your Wi-Fi network name from the list and connect to the network by providing the password.
- Once the printer is found either automatically or by manually adding from the network, the app will get the IP address and finish the connection.
Reconnect to Wi-Fi and Check
The app will now show the instructions for reconnecting iPhone back to default network. Go to iPhone Settings app and change the network connection to your default Wi-Fi network.
Checking and Printing from HP Smart App
After changing to your default Wi-Fi connection, back to HP Smart app and you will see the printer’s name added on top of all the options.
Check the blue color LED light on the printer. If it is stable without blinking, the printer is successfully connected to the network. If the LED light is blinking, it is not connected and quit the app and try again to connect the printer. Tap on “Print Documents” or “Print Photos” and select your file for printing. When printing photos, you need to provide permissions for accessing the photos from your iPhone.
HP Smart app provides an image editor which you can use to crop, add overlaying text, rotate and apply filters. When the image is ready, tap on “Done” to proceed with your printing.
You can check the printer online status is showing green, change the number of copies, paper size, color option, print quality and tap “Print” button.
Now, your HP printer will receive the document and start printing.
Why to Use HP Smart App Instead of Default iPhone’s Print Option?
Though the instructions are lengthy for adding HP printer in iPhone, this is a one-time setup. You can use the HP Smart app for managing all your printing and scanning activities. Here are some of the reasons, you can go for the printer app instead using AirPrint option in iPhone.
- The default print option shows in different places in different apps. You can avoid this confusion by using a single HP Smart app to manage the printing.
- You can view the cartridge status from the app and get help when facing connection problems.
- The app can help to scan and send the documents to your printer directly.
- You do not need to switch network for printing.
- You can edit images and add text before printing with the in-built editor.
Frequently Asked Questions on Adding HP Printer in iPhone
The app is available in iOS App Store and you can download for free. Though some functions like printing can be used without an account, you may need to register for a HP account for full utilizing the app.
Yes, you can use the HP Smart app on multiple devices to connect to the same printer as long as the printer and the devices are in the same network. Unlike the first-time setup as explained above, adding to further devices will take less time.
After successful setup, the printer’s network name will be changed to “DIRECT-*” instead of “HP-Setup-*”. You need to check this name in your WLAN networks.
After first time setup, the printer network will have a password set as 12345678. You need to enter this password to join the printer’s network. You can print the network configuration details from the HP Smart app by tapping on the printer’s name and then going to “Network information” section.
Yes, you can use the default print option available in app’s setting and select the HP printer. However, you may need to switch iPhone’s WLAN to printer’s network as HP Ink Tank Wireless is officially not in the Apple’s AirPrint support list.
The app will show the connected printer on top of all available shortcuts. You will see the status below the printer’s name as installed, ready, sleep, unavailable, etc.
Check on the buttons showing on the top left side. The stable blue light indicates the printer is on the network and the blinking blue light indicates it is not.
Bluetooth and Location Services are to be enabled in your iPhone for using the app. You will be prompted to grant access to these while setting up the app. In addition, you may need to grant camera access for scanning and Photos access for accessing your pictures.
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.